Friday, January 11, 2013

Dear Mother Nature

Alright!

Christmas, Yule, Hannukah, Kwanza have left the building, kindly restore the warmer weather now Mother Nature.

Please and thank you.

I'm freezing my hiney off over here and I don't like these seasonably cold temps. If it's going to be this cold, at least give us some measurable snow out of it.

Fat chance of that happening in the desert valley I know.

I'm hoping for the blizzard of '08 to return. That was a snowstorm I will not forget.

Look at how pretty it was.



I had to work that day, and I was like a kid in grade school who wanted to play hookey. I didn't want to go. I hadn't seen that much snow since I lived in Indiana and moved to this crappy town in 2000.

I could tell who the native locals were out here because they would come in and say, "How am I going to pick up my Susie from dance class?" or "I hope I get home okay."

People, it's snow, you may not have seen this white stuff before unless you've taken a trip to Mt. Charleston in the dead of winter, but I promise you, if you drive like you do in rain in this snow, you'll be just fine. It's just frozen rain."  Although, some of these Vegas drivers don't know a thing about driving in the rain either. I've seen it with my own eyes. 

My kids made a snowman with their dad while I was at work. They used my smudge stick for the nose and a few  oreos for the eyes. Not bad for never having played in snow before, if I may say so myself here.





So after coming home from work and being greeted by this lovely little fella I decided to check the news. I laughed so loud when I heard them say "Clark County School District Schools will be closed to do the weather". 

I remember walking in more than that much snow when I was in grade school.  We loved this stuff. We looked forward to REAL snowstorms where school got cancelled with good reason; snow drifts up the side of your back door you couldn't open it, and drifts as high as the fence. Snow plows boxing mom and dad's car in the driveway(although mom and dad didn't like it and swore like sailors sometimes ) after they just shoveled it always made us happy campers back in the day.

Bums me out my kids can't enjoy those simple things about snow that I did growing up.

I loved making snow angels, having snowball fights and building igloos out of that wet, thick, packable snow. 

My brother liked to hang onto the back of the bumper on the school bus after we'd get off and go for a ride down the block. 

Should younger reader pass by my page...NEVER EVER DO THIS! Even older readers, it is a stupid thing to do if you ask me. But fun to watch someone else do it. Kind of like watching those kids skateboard on those thin pipe rails and they take a straddled spill...OUCH...then it ends up on youtube cause their friend dared them they couldn't do it.

It was funny watching them slide down the road behind the bus. I never did it. I was too scared to do it.

So anyway, Mother Nature, unless you want to bring us some snow to go with the cold, please please please move the dial to spring.

My van, my kids and I do not like these frigid, cold temps.

I am not a desert rat, but I am also not an Eskimo either.



No comments: