Sunday, January 27, 2013

The One That Got Away


Love Comments & Graphics
~Magickal Graphics~
*Originally Posted in 2010 on another site*
This morning after I took my boys to school I sat down at my desk here and my daughter was looking at an old photo album I had from high school/post high school days. She saw this rose I had on the very first page of the album with a heart cut out of white paper and a date on it, October 15, 1988.

"Mommy, when your done can I touch this flower?" I asked her what flower. She said "This one mommy, and she opened my album and there it was. The first rose a boy ever gave me. He was 21, I was 18. We met at a grocery store where I was a cashier. He was a vendor for a local potato chip company. His name was Scott.

I gently peeled back the plastic cover on the page and let her touch the leaf on the rose. I felt the euphoria of way back then, and relived the whole time Scott and I had dated.

She asked me "Mommy what did your boyfriend look like?"

I told her "he had blonde hair and blue eyes and a nice smile. He smelled like Lagerfeld...",

"What's Lagerfeld mommy?"

"It's perfume men wear and it smells so yummy." She smiled at me.

He gave me that rose on Sweetest day, we were on our way out to eat, and he stopped at the convenience store in town and told me he'd be right out. He came out holding this rose and opened my door and handed it to me. "Happy Sweetest Day"...I wanted to cry. He kissed me and got in the car and we went to dinner.

Thank you Kalaya for taking me back to a simpler, fun time in my life.

Happy tears for happy times.

Oh, the good times. He was such a gentleman. Opened my car door, held my hand when we'd walk through the park or into the movies. He smelled so good, Lagerfeld, oh I will never smell another refreshing scent as Lagerfeld again in my lifetime. We laughed together so many times, we'd go to the lake and just make out for what seemed like forever and time would fly so fast for us when we were together. I wanted it to last just one more minute.

He made my heart race a thousand beats a second. I was in "Love" with this guy. I knew I was looking back. We never said those words, but I sure did feel it.

My mom loved him and my younger sister absolutely adored him. In a discussion a few months back my sister and I were on the phone and she told me how he was "the only guy I ever dated that she liked". LOL Just goes to show you all my history with men *grin* She told me she missed him too. 

Anyway, something odd happened. He invited me to his grandmothers 80th birthday party two weeks before the date of the party. I think my mom was more excited about it than I was. He was a "nice boy" and a sheer catch for her oldest daughter. We were going to drive 3 hours down to near Indianapolis to attend this party together. I was so excited, meeting the family...how cool.

I told a friend of mine about this event, and though she said that was cool looking back I didn't see it, but I think she was jealous. She was in a relationship at the time though I think they had some rough patches they were going through. I really honestly believe she sabotaged mine and Scott's relationship. She kept giving me all this advice about how I should tell him that I really care about him, and that I should see where this relationship is going. She was kind of a "big sister" to me and so of course why would she steer me wrong I looked up to her and usually heeded her advice. Then one night we were out drinking at a local bar/lounge(yeah, i know 18 and drinking...tsk tsk) and he brought up the topic instead of me. I said I wasn't sure where we were headed but to be honest I was cool with the way things were and wasn't really looking for anything more(like a ring or something wasn't ready for that), but I think this "friend" may have set this all up because he told me as we were dancing to Phil Collins "Groovy Kind of Love" that, he really liked me but he isn't ready for a serious relationship and wanted to break up with me despite what I said.

"Where was this coming from?" "Why would you bring this up?" at the time I didn't see it, but looking back I think this friend did a great disservice to both me and scott.

I cried all the way home that night. I turned on my debbie gibson tape and just sobbed all the way. I got home and headed to bed, not saying a word to anyone. I curled up and fell asleep. Oh I was heartbroken.

I wonder what he's doing now. I wonder who he's married to, how many kids he has and why in the hell he broke up with me. It still bugs me to this day when he pops into my head(which is very rare).

I'm just glad my daughter asked me about him. It was nice to remember the good times. It was nice to remember that at one time I did have a man in my life who cared about me and made me happy.

Dedicating this song to you Scott...wherever you may be.


No comments: