Saturday, January 19, 2013

Texting and Driving...an Ugly Combo

My blood pressure is now back to normal and I am no longer shaking, so let's see if I can get this blog post going here.

Here's what happened:

I took a leisurely stroll to my neighborhood Walgreen's. It's finally a nice day out, (unlike the nasty frigid weather that killed the beast) so I decided "Hey!, I'm gonna grab me a few valentine heart snicker's bars, some mac and cheese for dinner and some cookies to snack on for later to go with some hot cocoa."

As I'm just strolling along, enjoying the weather I had walked past a few of these parking lot entryways.  Mind you, I checked the left of me as I crossed each parking lot entryway so cars turning right didn't slam into me unannounced. As I did that I started walking across another driveway and this woman literally came out of nowhere, driving at warp speed, all I see from my peripheral vision is black and as I turn my head her head is looking DOWN and I stop like a child with his hand caught in the cookie jar, frozen as she slams on her brakes.

She is waving her hands in the air saying "i'm sorry, i'm sorry" to me while her hand gestures are pretty much telling me "I didn't mean to do that".

I grinned at her and started walking.

Don't ask me why I grinned. I have no clue. She probably thought I was crazy.

I could have gone postal on her, could have cussed her out or banged on her hood.

But I didn't.

I just walked across the driveway, and started shaking and almost started crying.

So for those of you out there on your stupid cell phones in the car, do us all a favor...DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE. DON'T TEXT AT A STOP LIGHT. DON'T TEXT AS YOUR CAR COMES TO A SLOW CRAWL. PAY ATTENTION TO THE DAMN ROAD IN FRONT OF YOU, BEHIND YOU AND ALL AROUND YOU.

It's the law here in Nevada...you can't even TOUCH your phone. Not even to turn it on. Not at a stop light or stop sign, not in the middle of stopped traffic, not to take pictures of the bright shiny thing in the sky at night.

So if the motor is running, and you're buckled up keep your eyes where they belong and your hands on the wheel.

And remember the speed limit in a parking lot is 5 mph, with good reason too.


No comments: