Thursday, July 4, 2013

It's July 4th...Meh

And it's just another day here at my place.

Kids are with their dad this  year for holidays, so I'm sitting here doing absolutely nothing.

Well, not nothing I suppose. I'm sitting here blogging. That's doing something.

I was invited to a friend's house, but my van is a death trap and the less I have to drive it the longer(hopefully) it will last me before it dies for good.  So, I'm missing out on festivities this year.

No biggie.

Here's a few things I have thought of doing this week when the kids weren't around and I am stuck in solitude:

1.  Count the number of channels that had infomercials on them.  (*I actually did this one)40 out of 165 channels have infomercials on them at 5 in the morning.  Yeah, that's right. I counted how many channels I actually have for the 120 bucks a month I pay in the bundle package I got suckered into. 165 channels, 15 of those were Spanish Channels, which may as well be infomercials because my Spanish sucks since I graduated from high school back in '87.

2.  Organize the refrigerator.   That was just a passing thought that never really came into fruition.

3.  Make donuts.  I always wanted to make donuts.

4.  Have a full-fledged conversation with myself. It would go something like this:
Self: "Can you believe the price of milk these days?" 
Self to Self reply:  "I know it's insane!  I prefer the store-brand vs. the name brand when it comes to milk though.  If powdered wasn't so nasty I'd buy that instead"
Self: "Do they still make powdered milk?"
Self to Self: "Gee, I don't know."

Silence.

Self: "How about those Cubs!" ......

5.  Invent a new parent-friendly item.  Like a wallet or purse that magically restores the money you just spent on groceries or gasoline.

6.  Count the threads in my bed-sheets. How do you really know if it's  200-count thread anyway? You just trust it because they SAY it's 200 - count?

7.  Go to an online dating site for a free communication weekend.  (*Yes, I actually did this one too)  That was a waste of an hour. It keeps telling me my profile is 80% complete. I have no idea where the other 20% to complete it is. No wonder it's free to communicate, hard to communicate with an incomplete profile.  I honestly signed up just for shits and giggles. A friend suggested it. She found love on the internet highway and told me I should try it too.  Some of the profiles scare me. And unless you subscribe, you can't see photos. That scares me even more.  No thanks. I'll stick to lonely nights of talking to myself and surfing the net I guess.

Self to Self: "Would you like a donut?"

8.  Count the ants that have tried to enter my home. Count how many I kill with the bottle of Windex I am holding as they attempt to do so.

9.   Sleep.  (*that's a possibility)

10.  Blog.

11.  Blog some more.

12.  Blog about blogging.

13.  Take a bath.

14.  Buy some wine.

15.  Actually drink the wine I buy instead of having it sit in my fridge for 4 months then throw it away.

16.  Write a book.

17.  Submit it to a publisher on a whim.

18.  Cash the advance check on my new book.

19.  Buy a new car.

20.  Pick up my kids and drive the new car somewhere.  Preferably out of the state.

Now I'm hallucinating. I better go to the store now and get a brief snippet of fresh air.  Do they sell that there? Because between the triple-digit heat, the fires raging out of control to the northwest and east of me, walking out the door is a death-trap today.

Have a wonderful 4th folks. I'm sure there are "folks" that may read this.  Even if it's just one "folk", I thank you for passing by.  Feel free to leave me a comment...or two....or three even.....




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find your blogs most refreshing.

You have given me something rather cheerful to read, rather then the very sad information I'm otherwise reading about "The War of Northern Aggression".

Keep it up B,
Ed