Sunday, July 28, 2013

I Just Love a Good Show

I am sitting here with a tall glass of ice tea, looking out at the Western skies and the mountains waiting for round two of the storms to hit.  I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm like a kid at Christmas any time it rains out here. Especially when there is some good ol' thunder and lightning with a little wind for good measure thrown into the mix. I would do anything to be back east to enjoy this kind of stuff on a regular basis.

Check out this picture I took when the first round hit:


I love this picture. When this first storm hit I was out on my patio talking to my son on the phone.  The winds blew the rain the direction of my apartment, so everything(including me) was soaked. I didn't care. I sat out there for a while. Big bolts of lightning, loud claps of thunder and the downpour of rain...it was amazing. The wind direction shifted and then the rain was going at an angle from south to north.

Awesomeness I tell ya!!!

This is what is coming this next round:


*Jumps up and down and claps like a little girl who got a pony for her birthday*

I can't wait for this to hit. Looks like another "good one".

While I wait I am sipping my tea, blogging to you all, and watching Finding Nemo. Yep, that's right, the inner child in me loves this movie. I could watch it a 100 times and never bore from viewing it. I just happened to turn it on at my favorite part where Dory says "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy!"


 

The kid in me can't wait for Finding Dory to come out either.

 I was saddened at work the other day when my coworker told me that it isn't coming out until 2015.  I thought it was 2014, but that was Vikings on the History Channel and NOT Dory.

Crap.

Anyway, a list of a few of my other favorite kid movies are as follows:

1.  Where the Wild Things Are
2.  Lion King(Yes, I shed a tear the first time I saw it)
3.  Marley and Me(still shed a tear EVERYTIME I see it)
4.  Smitty(first time i saw it was this past weekend with my kids. ALMOST shed a tear at the end)
(oooooo...the clouds are getting darker here.....I think I almost tinkled!!!!......must grab the popcorn and refill the tea soon for Mother Nature's Sequel to this afternoon's show)

5.  The Last Mimzy
6.  Race to Witch Mountain
7. Percy Jackson... and YES we ARE going to see the one that comes out August 6th(Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters). My boys and I LOVE those movies.
8.  Transformers...all of them.

And I'm sure there is a whole list more of kid movies I love but those are my all-time favorites.

Still waiting on that rain to fall.  My daughter was talking to me in the van the other day on my way to work, and she was explaining her version of how the storms are made.  This is what she said to me..her theory on how rainstorms happen.

"She mixes all the lightning and the rain and the thunder together. Then She holds it inside a huge umbrella and when she is ready she lets it go on the earth."

I asked her her, "Who is SHE?" 
She tells me "Well, Mother Nature of course!"

Well, Duh on me. I knew, but I just wanted to see what her beliefs are, because truth be told I don't push my children any direction into what to believe. I don't hold a religious label myself, and I'm not going to tell them "this is the right way to believe" or vice versa "That's wrong to believe."  I believe in God and Goddess/Mother Nature.  I believe we are all brothers and sisters on this big blue planet. Treat others with respect and kindness and harm none do as ye will. That's my take on life...and religion. We have gone to church in the past, and still go if invited.  

Nature is my Church. Who said you need a building to worship, pray or meditate, right? 

My children also go to Vacation Bible school with their grandparents a couple days a week, they also have learned at home and in school about various Gods and Goddesses.  I think it's important that they have a strong foundation of information to choose what they believe in and what they don't.

My children also know what Atheists are, and that they are not bad people simply because they choose not to believe in anything.  Again, we see the person, not the label. 

We don't really use the word "religion" in our home. We talk more about aspects on how to respect Mother Earth, how to respect each other, how to help others, how to practice compassion and kindness. My children are avid animal lovers, and they absolutely love nature(flowers, trees, bugs, ..etc) and try to save them all when they can.  They literally cried when our flowers on the patio died. They tried so hard to water them and keep them up, took such care planting them and arranging them in the planters. Unfortunately they just didn't thrive. I told them we'll try again in the fall.

A few weeks ago, my neighbors dog had an unfortunate accident. His bone was showing under his skin as it ripped on some shards of glass on the sidewalk. My boys went to the neighbor's home and put a gauze wrap, ever so gently on that poor dogs paw. I am blessed to have these amazing kids. Some people may see them as troublemakers, and hoodlums, and destructive boys, which they have a tendency to be that way.  however, they are children who have been through a lot of trauma in their short lives and I love them despite it though they test my patience some days, I won't lie, and I see the good points in them, not always the bad.

Labels limit people, which is why I try, really hard not to use them. Religious labels, social labels, and racial labels. Yucky. Makes people assume the worst because of that label, when you haven't really had the time to get to know the true personality of someone.

Anyway, I hear the thunder!!! Yay!!!

Let's get this party started shall we??!!!

The blinds are blowing and the wind is whipping up. Time for me to head on out to the patio for the second half of this amazing show.

And yep, there goes the warning from the National Weather Service on the TV.

Later all!!!!


No comments: