Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Between the Sexes: Working Together

I'm still giggling from a little  incident that happened at work today.

I have to tell you I don't like working with women(There, I said it....It's out there for all the world to see...more on this topic further into the blog).

But today in the lunch room, I realized it doesn't have to be all drama-induced or dreadful working with other women.

This is what was so damn funny.

Go ahead grab a drink, and pee while you're up and about. I feel another long-winded blog coming on. 

A fellow coworker of mine and I were chatting during our lunch break.  We started talking about the days events in our classrooms and before we knew it she was talking about certain ideas that she had brought to our boss's attention and I was chiming in with total agreement.

We were really into this conversation, it was like some female bonding moment(men have football, we have PMS and deeply rooted conversations about our bosses*snickers*) and because we were so into this conversation, unbeknownst to us our boss's daughter was a mere fleas' sneeze away from us, talking to another coworker near the copy machine.

We both looked at each other...frozen for a moment....then just burst into laughter.

Next thing I know she is whispering to me across the table, "Do you think she heard us?"

"I don't knowwww," I said in a hushed voice.

"Nahhh, I don't think she did."

We'll never know.  To be quite honest our boss is really a good person as a person. But she has to be a boss first, and with that comes the tumultuous task of not always making everyone happy all of the time.  I suppose that comes with the title. Which is why they call bosses a boss and not EBF's(employees best friend) or a more docile term than something so direct and scary as BOSS.

So there is my coworker and I, consumed with tears of laughter.  I'm laughing out loud here, thinking of that particular moment. No sooner did we go on this roller coaster of laughter, I ultimately did something that consumed us both with laughter and we just couldn't stop.....

I SNORTED!

That made us both laugh even harder.

Clearly if the boss's daughter hadn't noticed us before, by now we were like flashing neon signs on the Nevada State Highway.  Then I just looked at her and said, "How about those Cubbies!...Want a donut?"
She read  this blog, of mine and understood my little jest there and I am sure will be reading this one once it posts. *waves to my coworker and hands her a lemon square and coffee, "HIIIII "L"!!!"

I love when work doesn't feel like a job, but more like a carnival with some seriousness thrown in for balance once in a while.

It was just one of those moments that you wish work could be like....every hour of every day.

************************************

I feel like there should be some introduction to this section of the blog here. Like music, or song and dance perhaps....drum roll maybe???  I suppose this really wasn't "further" into the blog as I had previously mentioned. It's more like 1/3 of the way into the blog. That would be more accurate don't you think?


Why I Don't Like Working With Women:


1. We are hormonal creatures by nature. That said, we cry at the drop of the hat, snap at the most ridiculous of things, and we have PMS(which usually causes the aforementioned episodes).  If the copy machine isn't working and "Sue" forgot to take her Midol, that poor copy machine and the people around it are certainly going to suffer her wrath.  In this instance, we make sure we throw some acetaminophen and  a Chocolate Caramel bar in her direction and flee as quickly as possible.

2.  Everything turns into drama. I don't care what it is, somehow, someway, there is drama involved.  For instance, you could have a perfectly fine day, when all of a sudden "Jane B. Smith" decides that she is going to throw your perfectly good day into a perfectly disastrous mess when she runs to the boss to let him know you made a paper airplane with company letterhead paper.  Just because Jane is miserable, everyone else around her has to be.  Women just love to complain, let me rephrase that, MOST women, on average love to complain. I've never overheard a man talking to his boss saying "Joe was out in the shop using the air compressor to blow up his kids inflatable duck for the pool today." 

It just doesn't happen.

Ever.

3.  Gossip.  I won't lie, I like a good little bit o' gossip every now and then. However, too much of it, like a good piece of Chocolate Torte, can make you feel a little ill and overwhelmed.  And I don't go looking for gossip. If it finds me, I'll lend a listening ear. But I don't like getting sucked into gossip, because then I end up getting so wrapped up in it too, that I end up saying something I'll regret later. So I avoid gossip as much as I avoid men.

Because, truth is,  neither are good for me anyway.

4.  Cliques.  *Makes me shiver every time*  No matter how hard you try not to find them, they show up eventually.  And they can be messy, sometimes even hurtful.  Other times it's just so utterly nauseating.  Why can't we all just get along? Let's all go out for pizza and beer and call it a day? NO!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT....., refer to #2 here and realize that Jane can't be seen with Margaret because Margaret got 4 days off and Jane only wanted 2, but that was the week sales were high so now it's Margaret's fault that Jane can't get her 2 crappy days off.

Suck it up Jane.! Margaret doesn't make the schedule the office manager does.  So go be mad at Sara, the office manager, for a couple of hours and draw a picture in black crayon scribbles about how you feel.

(Talk about wicked sarcasm...hmm...I need some chocolate I think...be right back!)

...Much Better Now....

And The ONLY Reason Working with Men is Not So Good:

1.  Refer to #1 above.  We(as in wonderful women, ahem) share in that whole lovely monthly cycle thingy. And when it strikes on a Tuesday in the middle of summer and you are in white pants, Lord knows you are one grateful woman who can breathe a sigh of relief when you ask, in a building full of women, "Do you have a tampon?" Chances are 99.9% dead on you'll find someone who does. Working with men however, you have a snowballs chance in hell of him saying "Oh yeah, sure I do Darlin'. Let me head out to the back of my pickup truck and get it for ya," with a smile and a sparkly twinkle in his eyes.

Yeah, that's really the only reason I can think of at the moment. Feel free to add your own dear readers. I know you all are out there, come on share....you know you wanna.

Reasons Why Working With Men Is a Good Thing:

1.   Men don't have drama.  Of course even if they did, they wouldn't talk about it anyway.  Am I right? You know I am.  Because it's true. Men are like tightly knit spools of thread when it comes to sharing anything in their minds, let alone feelings.

I don't foresee a day where two or three guys are sitting at a bar and one says to the other:

"Damn Bob, I just don't know what to do about this job."

To which Bob replies, "Tell me how that makes you feel."

"Well, I really wanted to be head mechanic, but our boss gave the position to Luis and Luis has only been at the shop for 3 months.  Why would he get MY promotion?  I'm so hurt and angry."

Ummm....yeah, that just doesn't happen.

Not in the real world....at least not with probably 90% of men.

Men do share with other guys, but it's just not so emotionally drama laden. More forceful probably with a few expletives thrown in for good measure.

Let's move on shall we?

2.  Men are(usually) a Little Nicer.  I know there are some asshat men out there, I've dated a few of them in my time, so I know they exist. But for the most part, my experience working with men has been pretty positive, dating them is another story, we'll go there another day, say, in the year 2015. I only recall one time where a guy I worked with was an asshat, and that was only because he was ticked because I got a promotion to Manager that he wanted.

Sorry Charlie.

3. Men are nice to look at, flirt with, and just talk to.  I'm single.  I'm not getting any younger you know! I'm just pointing out the obvious.

So there you have it.

My take on the comparison of the sexes at work and which one I prefer to spend 8 hours of my life away from home with.

It's a no-brainer really. Men win, hands down in my book.

For now I'm in a dome of estrogen.  I deal as best I can when I'm having a PMS moment or someone else is.  I should probably make sure I have an ample supply of Midol and Chocolate on me as a deterrent to what could be a massive blowup should anyone come into work unprepared for what may set off their hormones...no matter what reason that may be.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not too sure who I prefer to work with? Good and bad experience's with both sexes in the work place.

Now as to speaking in front of someone when I shouldn't, most assuredly I have done that. I don't stop which upsets people no end.

However I point out, I'll say to your face anything I say to your back. If you hear I said something behind your back, just ask me, if I said it I'll repeat it.

People hate that, being honest isn't what some people want to hear. Go figure.

Very funny B,
Ed