Tuesday, February 18, 2014

What a Weekend!

Had a really good weekend with my kids.

Despite the bedtime fiasco of Saturday with the sleepover(check two posts ago) the whole weekend was fun. We did end up going golfing, because I realized that taking away a fun family day simply because they disregarded a bedtime issue was a bit extreme. I woke my one son up early and my other son wasn't able to go outside with my son and their friend to play because he was still sleeping. So that was punishment enough for both of them I thought.

We did go mini golfing, then we headed to this cool retro 60's themed restaurant for some dessert. A photo of Jimi Hendrix was atop the restroom door on the wall and peace signs and those flower power stickers were everywhere. I felt like I was five again. God, I miss that era in clothes, designs and music.  They had games for the kids to play, magic 8 ball and a rubik's cube as well to play for the kids and those who are "kids at heart". We got a dessert that was two giant doughnuts filled with Raspberry, Peanut Butter and Banana topped off with dehydrated bananas and a huge scoop of ice cream with chocolate syrup drizzled all over it.

My boys tore into that thing(we shared the whole plate, it was huge) and I kept telling them to slow down and savor it, because #1 there were four of us partaking of this delectable dessert and #2 they'll get a huge stomach ache from all that doughy, sugary richness. 

After that we went back home and I made steaks and mashed potatoes and gravy with some mini wheat bread and cole slaw.  We played some foosball, and watched some TV. Breakfast Club was on and we sat and watched that movie. It was on Family Channel, and they didn't exactly edit it enough for me, being on a so called "family channel" but I just explained what certain things were when they asked me to. Like the word "Virgin", it's in the bible and they read it, so I associated it with that. "It's a woman who hasn't had sex, just like Mary in the bible." 

They aren't getting any younger and I'd much rather explain things to them than to have some 10 or 11 year old kid explain it with some totally "out there" explanation.  I want my kids to be comfortable talking to me about normally taboo topics, ESPECIALLY sex.  Drugs and drinking follow behind that topic and of course dating, and how my boys should treat a girl and how a girl should be treated so my daughter understands.  Because as scary as it it, my kids(my boys in particular) have already come to me with questions about things kids in their 4th grade class have said to them that they have no clue what it means(about sex) or they tell me about kids who do drugs. 

That is scary.

Where are these kids parents?

Anyway, yesterday we went to a friend's house and they played with her kids and my friend and I chatted with each other. Then after about four hours of being there, we had to go as it was dark and getting late and her kids needed to go to bed and so did mine.

We went to get some sandwich bags at the store and I got some granola bars for their lunches for today. As I walked down the card aisle there was this weird looking guy kneeling by the cards and he looked at me and smiled...creepy....and I just smiled and kept walking. Well, when I went to get my kids from the toy aisle, I briefly passed by him again and he is grinning at me. I didn't smile back that time.  He gave me a bad feeling. I watched him walk out the door and could see him out of the corner of my eye as I talked to the kids he was still looking at me.

As I was thinking about that guy this morning, this song popped into my head:





I'm glad that whole event is over.  Creeped me out royally.  I made sure he didn't follow us home, I glanced around for people in their cars and people standing around and he was nowhere to be found. I even checked my rearview mirror to make sure he wasn't behind us as I entered our community.

Scary.

Weirdo.

So now it's Tuesday. Only four days left to go until another weekend. I can't wait either. I will be cleaning up like crazy and maybe spend the day at the DMV registering my car. I don't know yet though, I might wait until the end of the month. I'm just too lazy this week to be honest. 

Well, have a lovely Tuesday. If you are in the midwest or eastern states, please stay safe and be extra careful this week. As if Mother Nature hasn't shown enough of her wrath on humanity in the from of deadly arctic temps and tons of snow, now she's decided she is going to clear it all away in one fell swoop with severe thunderstorms to boot.

Lovely.

Let's give Mother Nature a Xanax or something. Chocolate perhaps? Someone plant a cocoa tree in your backyard, along with some coffee trees and vanilla beans or something.  She is a tad bit hormonal these days it seems.

I have to go. Time to get ready for work.  Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Let's sing a song shall we? Get that blood going and our butts out of bed...COME ON NOW~!!  GET UP AND DANCE!!! :)

IT'S GONNA BE A LOVELY DAY!!!!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey B,

Glad the weekend was good for all of you.

I practiced the Luge on the couch. I did nap a bit since I was in the nap/Luge position anyway.

Jimi Hendrix. US Army. 101st Airborne. Vietnam. Bit of a surprise isn't it.

Bea Arthur. US Marine. Okay not much of a stretch believing that.

Anyone get a hole in one at putt, putt?

Enjoy the week Barb.
I think I'll go put in a couple hours of Luge practice.

Ed

Barb said...

Jimi Hendrix...good music from better days if I may say so myself. I always loved sixties/seventies era music. I call it getting in touch with my inner hippie. :) Wasn't born I don't think, or maybe I was when Vietnam happened. Can't remember when that was. I want to say late sixties????

Yes, we had two holes in one. One was by my daughter and the other by my youngest twin. I do believe I lost...never did add the scores up and washed the jeans where I put the scorecard in the back pocket.

I do believe my daughter won that game though.

Don't strain yourself with all that Luge practicing. Wouldn't want you to pull a muscle laying the wrong way on your couch or anything for too long.

Have a good Wednesday!