Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Sleepover Bedtime Story

Another Valentine's Day come and gone.

I survived it.

Thank Goodness.

It was very nice actually. I got some amazing gifts from my students, a card from my friend/coworker and a card from my youngest twin son who took time out to thank me for taking them to Burger King.  

To me Valentine's Day is basically another day on the calendar. I don't cry into a glass of wine while watching sappy romantic comedies wishing I had someone to share that day with. Because the truth is  I have three very wonderful little people to share that special day with.  

My kids had a sleepover last night.  I told them lights out at 1 a.m. no later. Because it's a weekend and a sleepover and I figured I'd give my kids the benefit of the doubt when it came to trusting them with their bedtime as well as letting them stay up just a little bit later than the usual midnight pumpkin time.  I woke up at 4 a.m. this morning(I fell asleep on the couch about 11:30) to find all three boys on their phones playing games all laying on the floor in my room. I was not a happy camper at all. 

Number one it was way past their allotted bedtime.

Number two they were in my room.

My son proceeds to tell me that was where his phone charger was and he needed to charge his phone.  I explained to him that there are four other outlets in his room to charge his phone at, and there was no reason they needed to be in my room. My computer is in here, but thankfully it is password protected so they couldn't get on because I shut it off earlier last night.

I was not happy at all. 

I think I was angrier at myself for falling asleep to begin with. Just one and a half hours longer and I could have sent them all to bed on time.

But no, I was so exhausted I could barely keep my eyes open. And before I felt myself fluttering off to sleep, I told them what time to go to bed...

...in English...

...a language I know they understand well.....

...but apparently not well enough to to go to bed on time.

At least they weren't loud and noisy like the last time my kids had someone over here.  They had decided that they were going to shove balloons in their shirt and jump up against the wall in their room to pop them. It was way after one in the morning when they did that, and that was the LAST time they had a sleepover....last summer.

My daughter and her friend were asleep. Her lava lamp was on as was her bedroom light still. All the lights in the apartment were on too. I'm surprised the beams didn't radiate out into the darkness of our neighborhood that early in the morning causing chaos and panic amongst my neighbors.

Now I'm sitting here, finally done fuming and wondering what we are going to do today. I had plans for mini golf but that just went out the window when they broke the cardinal rule...not listening to my directions when it came to bedtime. 

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I don't think so. I trusted them to do what I asked them to do. That's it, nothing more. 

A simple request.

I will have to let their house guest know when they wake up, I am not angry with him, but with my boys. Because they know better. Sure, the kid could have told them, "hey your mom said 1 a.m." but what kid is going to do that when he's at another friend's house?  I'll cut him some slack here. He's a nice kid. 

He didn't eat much either.

I told him he eats like a bird and he laughed at me. I kept trying to feed him more pizza rolls, tacos, and corndogs, but he just wanted the ten pizza rolls I gave him and the two thin mints that he grabbed out of the sleeve of cookies I had offered to him. One tiny cup of soda and that's all he wanted. I even offered him some chips, he didn't want any. He was very polite too. 

Quiet and Polite.

Those are the kinds of kids I like spending the night.

Unfortunately for my boys it will be a long time coming before they get another chance at a sleepover.

They blew it.

It might be two years before they get another one....if they're lucky.

I might just decide to give them another break in another couple of months. But they will have to prove they are worthy of my trust, something broken that is hard to repair.

I was really looking forward to 18 holes of mini golf.

It's suppose to be a nice day out today too.

Dammit!!!

 *stomps foot on floor, hunches over and drags feet walking away*









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi B,

Bummer, no putt, putt golf. Man I can't remember the last time I attempted to play carpet golf? Let's just say that it's been awhile and leave it at that.

You know, I never had or went to a sleep over as a kid. Not even once. I never had a birthday party. I was asked to a birthday party once. Well my 2nd grade class was asked, I was asked by default. We were poor. Until that day I had no idea that we were poor.

My mom was a waitress, 35 cents an hour plus tips. She was 39 years old when I was born. Not may tips for a 47 y.o. with 4 kids.

I still hold out hope for Santa Claus to visit. My chances don't look too good. I think I have a permanent slot on the naughty list. Maybe two positions? Can you have two? I think I have two?

Who knows?

I don't think that the Easter Bunny has a list? So maybe I'll score a Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup for Easter. I hope so. I've had a 'jones on' to try one since I saw the ad on YouTube.

Have a great week Barb,
Ed

I wasn't trying for sympathy btw.