Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Weekend is Over Already?

I had the busiest day of my weekend.

I woke up this morning around 6:30 or so and played some Papa Pear, had some chocolate swirl coffee that I got on sale yesterday and some chocolate creme Oreos.  Then I started feeling a bit "icky" thought I was coming down with something so I took a nap and woke up around noon. Called my ex to call the guy who was going to fix my brakes.  We set a time of 2:00.

Okay, I get dressed, I'm on my way and the light on my radio/clock panel starts flickering, then it just shuts off. The radio still works, I can change the stations and volume and all that, I just can't see what station I'm on or what time it is. So I'm in my car and I'm talking to it, "Okay, I am treating you well, I changed your oil, your fluids in the transmission, don't conk out on me now."  I shut off the radio and turned it back on, the display came back, only to go away when I hit a bump on the road.

I get to the guy's house and he goes to get the brake pads that the previous owner had purchased for the car.  He opens the box and shakes his head.

It's the wrong brake pads.

No way.

So we head down to the auto parts store and I get some "organic" brakes that were the cheapest ones. I also have to have my rotors turned, but he said I'll be okay until I can save up a little more money to do that.  I don't understand how brakes can be organic to begin with. You don't eat them. They can be recyclable or they can even be "earth friendly" but organic?? I didn't quite understand that concept.  There are no GMOs in brake pads, so maybe that's why they are organic??

*shrugs*

Hmm....


What should have been about an hour's worth of work, turned into a two hour fest of maintenance. I'm not complaining, because this friend of my ex was really thorough. He even checked the rear brakes just to make sure they were okay. I can tell you, I now know how to replace brake pads, but truth be told, I'll still have him do it instead should I ever need them done again.

I  headed out to Target to find my kids some socks and underwear. Dear God $11.64 for a five pack of underwear!!!!!  I could sew about ten pairs for that price. And socks were almost $8.  Don't they have any generic cotton plants to make these socks and underwear with?? 

I also got myself some make up and a make up brush that was on sale for a buck. I'm trying a new eyeshadow color, we'll see how this goes.

I may end up looking like Tammy Faye Baker(remember her in all her glory, with all her caked on makeup that made her look like something out of the circus?? Then she'd cry...well...you get the deal here), let's hope not though. I'm going with some blue hues for a change. I have hazel eyes, and I usually wear purples and pinks and light mauve colors, but I'm kind of purpled out here. So I'm going with something new.

I went to Wally World and got myself two shirts and a pair of jeans that were on sale for $9. That was a steal pretty much. I won't pay more than $12 for  a pair of jeans or shorts.  I'm frugal that way. Which is why I only own two pair of capri pants that I bought last year around tax time when I had a little extra money.

The only pair of shorts I owned, denim ones, are now filled with holes all over. Although, I see some styles like that are coming back again. So I guess my old holey pants are cool. So I guess I'll wear them around the house this spring until I can afford another pair on sale.

I also got a back pack for my son, because his dad's dog ate a huge hole in the one he had at the beginning of the school year.  I will give that dog a talking to if she eats this one too.

I got home and called the kids dad. He had called me during my shopping spree at Target and to be honest I heard what he said but I wasn't really listening. He's having some issues, and I'm not going to air his laundry here, this is my blog not his, but I told him "I didn't want to seem like an insensitive bitch, so let me see if I can help you out with this(dilemma he's in)." So we chatted, and what I assumed would be a quick and simple five minute conversation turned into a good twenty minute talk.

It was nice actually.  Good that we can communicate without name-calling or wishing ill-will on one another like some divorced/separated/broken up couples often do, especially when they have kids. I was giving him some cheap and easy dinner recipes for the kids to eat, ones that I know they really, really like. As we were talking he mentioned he is making them lobster and shrimp scampi with steak. I told him I don't have a broiler and haven't made steak since I've lived here. As we are talking, I look in the drawer thingy on the stove beneath the oven, and what do you know?

THERE'S THE STINKIN' BROILER PAN!!!!!

I've been here two years and never knew that pan was in there. How crazy is that?

Wait, it gets better.

He goes to look in his lower drawer thingy on the stove and finds two broiler pans in there. We were both cracking up.

Because he bought the one he was using.

Anyway, so I'm just glad he and I can be civil to each other. Maybe we can even be friends again. Like real friends, not like "Oh we have kids together we need to be nice to each other" but friends. Hang out with the kids and go to barbecues and stuff and just be good old fashioned friends.

That would be nice.

Anyway, I kept trying to go, but he kept on talking.

So I let him talk.

Because what else did  I have to do anyway? And it was actually kind of fun chatting with the guy. He's a pretty funny fella.

And it wasn't awkward or annoying or anything like that. It was kind of like when I talk to other friends of mine.

Maybe I should mark this date on my calendar. Who knows if we'll have another friendly conversation again in this lifetime?

I'm sure we will...maybe....I think.

*shrugs*

Oh well....

I finally made my dinner and damn was it good! I had tilapia and I fried it in some oil and then seasoned it with garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. When it was done I poured some melted butter that I put lemon juice and pepper in and stirred around and goodness was that stuff good! I made rice to go with it. That was tasty too. Reminded me of the rice my grandma use to make. Smelled like her kitchen in here.

Loved that.

Now I'm just sitting here doing absolutely nothing.

Well...except for blogging of course.

I need to go clean my kitchen.  Then maybe bake some lemon squares. I've been wanting to do that forever.

I owe my friend D all the edges of a pan of lemon squares, she only likes the edges.  And she stayed late for me last week, so I owe her.

Big time!

Okay, I'm off this thing for now.

Have a lovely week.

I'll try and come back tomorrow, but making no promises whatsoever.

I leave you with this beautiful pic and thought for tomorrow:





Days Of The Week Comments
Magickal Graphics



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi B,

Glad you two still get along. My X was not my greatest fan afterwards, or during really. But that's okay. As long as she stays in the southern hemisphere, I'll stay in the northern one. Seems fair to me.

Bummer about the brakes. But you'd be amazed how often things like that happen. The parts store book said one type of sparkplug, the metal sticker on the inside of the engine compartment clearly said another. Had to get the guy to step outside and look at the number before he'd exchange them.

I must say I've had a great weekend, as I said twice before on your most previous blog. Oh, Sorry about answering your blogs twice sometimes. I'll try to stop that.

"Thank You For Your Participation In My Weekend Happiness Clinic."

(Your certificate of participation will arrive in the mail in 52 to 104 weeks. Please contact us if it fails to arrive in that time frame. *Not responsible for delays caused by, but not limited to; [Nuclear War, Plague, Zombie Apocalypse, Hang Nails, or Extended Coffee Breaks At the Post Office] or Any Other Reason That Causes Any Delay In Delivery.)

Well I can take off the Depends now and go back to my underwear. Which is made with designer, imported, virgin, Egyptian cotton. (The depends were starting to chaff a bit.) I feel so special now. No really, I do.

On a serious note, have a good week, one that's safe and happy for you and your family.

Later Barb,
Ed

Barb said...

The car is over ten years old, and the previous owner lived back in the midwest. The rotors were a tad bit rusted, as was the engine block just a bit.(look at me talking like I know what the hell i'm talking about) Anyway, the car is now tuned up and maintained and I can hopefully enjoy it with my kids and maybe do more things with them now.


Have an awesome day Ed. I have to get to work now. :)