Saturday, February 22, 2014

Meh....

I'm procrastinating here.

I should be cleaning and I'm about to shower and head out the door but I am waiting on my laundry to dry. So here I sit....

Blogging.

My favorite past time. 

My head is a little better this morning after crying my eyeballs out last night and then talking with my granddaughter's mom last night. My heart still hurts for all of them, but my head is at least functioning a little better today.

I was talking with my daughter yesterday before school.  And of course I'm on the potty trying to do my business in there, and she opens the door and starts telling me about this girl from school and what she said to her on the playground. I gave her this look of raised eyebrows and a grin and she says, "Oh, I should wait huh?" and she shuts the door, then she opens it up again and begins talking about the girl from school as though my being on the toilet is not reason enough for her to wait and the look I gave her never happened.

So I listened to her carry on with her story.

Apparently some girl made a crack about my daughter's jeans.  These manufacturers clearly have never tried placing the clothing they make for little girls on an actual girl, but rather store bought mannequins that have bottoms the size of Mars to hold them up. Because my poor daughter is a skinny little thing, and any jeans that are on her hiney slide right down her. Belt or no belt, doesn't matter, they seem to have a mind of their own. What kid at age 9 by the way, needs a "low rise" pair of jeans for that matter? They all seem to be cut just barely below the hip line.

*shakes head*

So my poor daughter tends to wear longer shirts to alleviate the sliding drawers syndrome she is plagued with when she wears jeans(thank God shorts season is just around the corner those fit her much better believe it or not) so as not to reveal anything that needs not to be revealed,  and apparently one nasty little girl in her class told her, "Why do you wear those I can see your butt!"

Well, I told my daughter "next time she says that to you, or anyone says that to you, simply say 'What the heck are you doing lookin' at my butt?' then laugh and walk away."

Then she proceeds to tell me she never thinks of things to say to come back with when kids are mean. I told her I am the same way and usually have an arsenal of things "I should have said"...after the fact.

I told her people are going to be mean and frankly she needs to learn the motto, Kill 'em with kindness.

Words to live by.

Why do kids need to be so mean anyway?

I explained this to my daughter why bullies bully others.

*They have low self-esteem and making people feel bad about themselves makes them feel powerful.

*They are attention seekers. They want everyone to know they exist. Thing is what the bullies don't realize is that more than half the people who see them existing don't really like them.

*Maybe they are picked on at home.  If that's the case refer to the kill 'em with kindness idea.  They need more love and not necessarily attention.

*Girls are especially mean because it's just part of their nature sometimes. Anyone who has ever seen the movie Mean Girls can relate to what I'm saying here.  Some girls just want to fit in while other girls want to be the one everyone wants to fit in with.  Again, it's that whole "look at me and notice how pretty and popular" thing most(not all) girls long for growing up.

*Hormones...enough said there.

My daughter then told me about a boy in her class, who last year, decided to tell all his friends and the whole second grade class that my daughter was his girlfriend. She didn't want to tell me about it because I know the kids aunt and we are friends(more like acquaintances at this point). I told her that she(my daughter obviously) comes first, before friends. I will talk to the aunt who can talk to the mom if she wants me to. She said he didn't do it this year. I told her she should be flattered that this boy thinks she is pretty, but it wasn't nice of him to do that. I told her obviously if they don't sit at lunch together, and they don't talk on the playground then clearly they are not boyfriend and girlfriend(too funny in second grade, but scary because these kids really do have "boyfriends and girlfriends" in second grade).  All the kids will see that she is not dating this boy( I had to giggle when I wrote that...sorry...dating?? really??In second grade??  Their version of dating: "Can I buy you a chocolate milk and will you go out on the playground with me and play dodgeball?..seriously??)

*********************

My kids stopped by with their dad this afternoon to pick up some of their clothes and blankets to take back to dad's house. I have to say that he seemed a bit out of sorts and although I don't worry about the guy, he did have me somewhat concerned as he was deep in thought and looked rather tired or "not well" in my opinion. I do hope the guy's alright, he's not my best friend by any means, but we get along for the most part and he is my kids' dad so I hope he is okay there.   He said he was just tired.

Hope that is the case and he's fine.
For the kids sake and his too anyway.

Well, five days until the premiere of season 2 of my Vikings. Goodness I can't wait to get my Ragnar and Lagertha fix in. I'm anxious to see what Lagertha does to Ragnar when she finds out that he had a "feast" (so to speak) with another woman.

This should be interesting.

Okay, not exactly my greatest blog here. But my mind is still swirling with different things and I need to do some stuff today that requires getting in the car and driving.

Not too thrilled about that at all.

But it must be done.

Have a great weekend.

I'll try and post something more comical later.

I'm just not "feelin' it" right now.

.................








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi B,

Glad the Grandkids are with someone they know. No fear like being with people you don't know when your a kid.

You never had a 'boyfriend' in 2nd grade? Seriously? I am so weird. I was on my 4th old lady by the summer between 2nd & 3rd grade.

You practice dating for high school, in grade school. Hot women, taking those health risks. She bites off a piece of your oatmeal cookie, then backwashes into your milk. You score a bite of her Baby Ruth. Good times, good times.

Then things go south. You forget to draw her a 'Hand Turkey' for Thanksgiving break. Forget to make her a Christmas Card on her favorite color of paper.

She starts being all psycho girlfriend on you. Even though you didn't know what that meant then. You start taking your afternoon nap with one eye open. You notice she's started wear her safety scissors on a really long wool necklace. Always looking over your shoulder on the playground. Good times, good times.

By high school it doesn't phase you anymore. Your so totally neurotic and paranoid by then you start looking for the really unwrapped basket cases to see just how close you can get to death.

Good times, unless she's a real whack job and you wake up with your sheets sliced to rags. Then you have to a) explain the sheets to your mom, or b) find the exact same sheets at Penny's and smuggle them into your room. Good times, yep, good times.

By the time you get married you want a woman to kill you just so you can get some sleep with your eyes closed. If she succeeds you go to Valhalla and drink with your friends & Gods and tell each other stories about the crazy one that "Got You There." Good times, yep! Good times.

This comment was going in a different direction in my head as I read your blog. (bathroom privacy. Good luck with that. but we've covered that topic before) But you mentioned "Vikings" and I spun off out of control. I even considered getting cable. But at $140 a month I just can't make myself do it.

I hope you got to talk to the Grand Kids this evening? Have a good rest of the weekend Barb.

Ed
Me? I have 2 episodes of season 3 of Game of Thrones left to watch. I hear the DVD player calling me to Westros now. [;{)

Barb said...

Oh my God ED you are hilarious!!! I was literally laughing out loud here...think I scared the sea monkeys.

I did kiss a boy in kindergarten, that doesn't really count, it was a dare my cousin made to me with her BFF who was either this kids sister or cousin or something. Quick kiss and nothing was ever said about it until a game of farmtown when he brought it up.

I was embarrassed, and quite shocked that he actually remembered that.

I didn't have a boyfriend until sixth grade. He bought me all sorts of fun stuff, stickers, a clip on teddy bear on a skateboard I was totally smitten with this boy. Until Christmas...he bought me an ankle bracelet from Avon. My stupid homeroom teacher ruined the moment for me.(note: she isn't really stupid, but I was mad at her after she told me what she told me) She said he had given gifts to other girls in the class. That I wasn't really his special someone. He had several of us floating around the sixth grade class, and probably seventh grade too looking back.

hence the "shitty man curse" from that day forward. Never could find a good man ever again after that. Trusted the wrong ones. Gave my heart to whoever would have it. Then they'd break it..over and over and over.

And the one good one I did find...he left me high and dry. No reason. He told me at the bar one night while we were dancing he wanted to break up. I cried for an eternity after that night.

I'm like sally and jilly in Practical Magic. Perhaps though, one day, someone will break the curse. Just need to find a couple of friends with some brooms and a dust buster and see how that goes for me. (if you haven't seen the movie you won't understand the context of the dust buster or the brooms here LOLL)

I'm off to write another blog. A more cheerful one...I hope anyway.