Friday, January 3, 2014

My Boys Are Good Kids...Despite What Some May Assume

Let's see how much I can post in a record ten to fifteen minutes, the time it will take for my clothes that are now in the wash to dry when the cycle is done.

Yesterday was a bad day.

Every year around this time, it's a "bad day" for me but this year even more so than others. I can't really go into much detail because I can't, but I'll just say that I am tired of people treating my boys like lepers when it comes to being included in activities or invited to certain situations/events like other children are.

Yes, they can be a handful. Lord knows I've posted enough about my children on here to make some people wonder "How do you do it?" They are kids, who have been through a lot of things, some more traumatic than other kids their age in their very short life span thus far on this planet. They have been witness to some frightening things that no child at 7,8,9 or any age should ever have to see or hear about. Yes, they are "old enough to know better" in some cases when meltdowns ensue or fighting begins, but  Jesus, they are just kids. Forget blaming anyone for their behavior and just look at them for WHO they are not what you ASSUME THEM TO BE.  I can hear the whispers of people who wonder why I don't just drop this, or why I need to keep pushing this issue.

Their my kids and it's my job as their mother to ensure their happiness and mental well being.

So let me begin here:

They are not evil demon children for starters. They do not always fight, have meltdowns or get angry so badly that people need to sit behind closed doors and whisper about them to one another.

I know it happens.

They talk.

Let them.  Let them look the fools that they truly are.

Because they don't know the real side of my kids, their  TRUE nature at all.

My boys, who with a request from my neighbor, gave a very young, white, scared poodle with an injury that left his skin severed and his poor little bone exposed, the utmost gentle care as they wrapped a gauze wrap ever so gently around this little dog's paw, despite the growls from this dog, they managed to gain it's trust so that they could help this dog feel better while the neighbor was on the phone with the vet, terribly upset no less and in tears.

My boys once again, have helped me help many a stray cat and dog we have found, feed it, hold it, and find it's owners when we could. As any person knows, an animal senses a person's demeanor and will not go to a person who has "evil intentions" for that animal. My kids don't light dogs on fire, or throw bleach in a cat's face, or even burn ants under a microscope in the hot dessert sun. They have a very very high respect and reverence for all living things and every part of nature. They will make homes  outside  for spiders they find in our home and when it rains they will build trenches so the spiders don't drown, despite the fact I tell them the spiders are part of nature and will figure it out.

My boys are very sensitive to all living things.

And when it comes to children, they are very protective of little kids. And they are very good with them as well. I remember one time when my kids were with me at the post office. There was this little boy with his father and he was about 3 or so and having the utter meltdown of his lifetime. The line was forever in the post office and I looked at the boys and said "Go help that dad with his kid." They went over to where the kid was having his meltdown and they sat and talked to him and calmed him down. The father looked at me and mouthed "Thank you" and I smiled. Because believe me I know how that can be to have your kid have meltdowns at the most inopportune moments.

They are very good with a little boy in our neighborhood. They will bend down to his level to speak to him and talk in that high-pitched voice we sometimes do to talk to a little child, they will share their last piece of candy or bag of chips with another little child if they wanted to. They use to carry this one boy around our neighborhood and put him in a shopping cart and push him down the sidewalk and they are laughing and you can see a smile a mile wide on this little boy's face. They feel sorry for the kids who don't have shoes in the middle of winter, or no jacket on and will often ask if they can share theirs or find some clothes in their clothes for these kids.

They will go to their grandparent's house and build with grandpa hammer and nail in hand, or cook with grandma, or play on the piano with pride as they show them the newest song they learned. They don't run around destroying grandma's priceless heirlooms that sit on the  mantle above the fireplace. And grandma doesn't bubble wrap things when they go their either. Because they respect grandma and her home.

They color, they paint, they write. My children have some of the best gifts of writing and illustrating I have ever seen. All three of them have the gift of creativity.

They are good kids.

So before anyone decides to point fingers of judgment in my boys' direction, let me make one thing clear.

They are NOT evil little children.  They are NOT crazyAnd they are NOT those little troublemakers you assume them to be.

They are MY babies, and hurt me all you want to, treat me like a doormat, walk all over me, say whatever you want to me directly or about ME behind me back, but DON'T EVER, EVER, MESS WITH MY BABIES or THEIR FEELINGS!

They are good, smart, loving children who just had a bad hand thrown to them in life at one time and are trying to figure life out one life challenging situation at a time.

I love them with every fiber of my being.

I will fight for their happiness and their health and safety at whatever cost...whatever that cost may be.





No comments: