Monday, August 11, 2014

Don't Move!!

Yes, I am still around.

I've been busy lately and haven't had much time to blog. I'm waiting for my clothes to dry, so I figured, "what the heck, let me blog a little as I wait here".  

Not much is going on around here.  

We had a meeting with a scorpion on our living room carpet last Saturday.



That was fun.

Not really, that's sarcasm. I was going to shut off our living room lamp and as I walked across the floor in my BARE feet I happened to look down and noticed something on the floor. At first I thought it was one of the kids' toys. I asked the kids, "Hey, is this a toy?" They come running over and sure enough, it wasn't a toy.  But it just sat there, staring at our feet.  

Not moving an inch.

I went into panic mode. 

The boys were like, "Cooool, mom!" and I was telling them, "BACK UP!" I got a Ziploc container(one that could hold a whole meat loaf if I needed to do that) and threw it over that thing.  Then we were trying to figure out what to do with it. My daughter was shrieking and saying "Mommy I am scared!" I told her to throw on my shoes by the door and she went outside, she was peering around the door frame every so often while I stood in my kitchen, cell phone in hand, my nervous fingers tried to type in "How to kill a scorpion" on my phone.  Needless to say, I now know the feeling of those people in those horror movies who try to put a key in a hole or dial 911. 

I couldn't type fast enough and when I did type I hit the wrong letters. 

Then my phone wouldn't load the pages. 

*insert theme from any horror movie here*

It's tail was wiggling all over and it flipped over on it's back a few times. *squirms just thinking about it*

I found results for vinegar, the neighbor told us to use salt around the container, finally I found something....use a knife and stab that sucker as hard as you can.

So I got the biggest bread knife I could find, and my son said he would do the honors. So as I stood next to him so he didn't injure himself, he pierced the top of the container and stabbed that thing to death.  Then he flicked it into the container and took it outside where he and his older twin brother were just mesmerized by this thing. 

I just wanted it gone, and so did my daughter.

I kept on telling them, "Just leave it out there! Throw the container out and leave that thing out there!"  

Boys and bugs are hard to part let me tell you.

They ooo'd at the size of it and awed at it's tail being cut off. 

Yeah, I was just glad it was gone.

We couldn't sleep for a while after that.  

I had gotten a new bed that day.  I'm thinking it had sneaked in with the bed, hitched a ride.

It hitched a ride with the beetle I found.

Yeah, I was all excited I got this new queen size bed from a friend's boyfriend, and when I went to make the bed,  there in the middle of my new bed was this beetle, a shiny golden beetle just hanging out on MY bed. I was not happy and went to get a broom to kill it. I smashed it(or so I did) and killed it, and flicked it with the broom onto the floor. I grabbed this dip-size Rubbermaid container and threw it over that bug. When I lifted it to remove it and toss it out, that stupid bug moved. 

Yeah, it moved. 

Almost as if to say, "I am invincible!"

So I killed it....again.

This time it was dead.  My boys came in and told me what kind of beetle it was then they tossed it out for me. 

Don't know what I would do if I had a houseful of girls.

We'd still be staring at that thing. 

I was talking to a woman at work about our experience. She said she found a scorpion on her ceiling. Called her hubby at work, then stared at that thing for the hour or so until he came home to get it.  She said it was like her and that scorpion had a staring contest with one another.

She didn't move.

At all.

This is what living in the desert is like.  

Personally, I'll take the chances of west nile with a midwest mosquito, then deal with any of these critters.

As I was driving home the other night, I could swear I saw a rat scurry across in front of my car as I was driving.

Seriously Nature, stay in your own home. I have my home, and you have yours.

That's my week summed up in one blog.

I've seen and heard the locusts, had my share of nasty bugs in my home, I'm done with this...someone pack my bags and send me and my kids back to Indiana.

PLEASE.

Hope you are having a good start to your week. 

It's time for me to get ready for work.

Have a great week everyone!









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,

A couple of weeks back Eb & I found a 7 foo snake.
It was draped across the double window ledge over the sink.
Then across the back of the stove with a foot or so in the air checking me out.
Searched on the net & discovered it was a Golden Rat Snake.
I'm just glad it wasn't a water moccasin.

Have a good week B.

Eb says Hi!

Barb said...

Hey Ed!!! Nice to see ya again! I was wondering where you went to.

anyway,...a snake would for sure put me in a comatose state no doubt. You'd have to peel me off the floor onto a stretcher if I saw that. My boys, however, would probably be grabbing a broom stick to catch the stupid thing...guarantee it.

Have a good day!!! I have a blog to finish and then I'm out the door to work.

Say hi to Eb for me. ;)