Thursday, August 14, 2014

This One's For You Friend

After reading my most faithful follower's comment this morning it got me to thinking. I had tons of thoughts of what I wanted to say, so instead of blogging in a comment I am going to blog right here.

Bear with me as I get my thoughts together.

First of all to all of those folks out there(not just my dear internet friend) who feel icky, blah, out of sorts if you will and like life is meant to be spent on our couches or in our beds 24/7 let me say that the best thing you can do for yourself is to get out there and dance.

Dance in life.   Kick off those fuzzy bunny slippers and your robe and just dance around the house. Come on now, shake your booty, wave your arms in the air and just get dancing!

 "Dance til you can't dance til you can't dance no more..." -C and C Music Factory

(I thought of this song when I said Dance in life.....oldie but a goodie) LOL





And in the event there is no music, don't let the absence of music make you stop dancing.  Make your own music. 

Get out and go to the park.

Call an old friend from years ago or catch up with someone on Facebook you haven't talked to except when Facebook reminds you it's their birthday.

Find a hobby. There are plenty of things one can do to pass the time that do not require the use of a couch. Painting, blogging, jogging, taking a walk. Even those of you out there wheel-chair bound can enjoy the beautiful sights of God's creations by heading out doors. Inhale the fresh air, smell a flower, watch the butterflies, enjoy a sunrise or sunset with a nice cup of coffee or an ice tea(Very Berry Hibiscus from Starbucks, highly recommended).  

Talk to a neighbor/make friends.  I met my best friend in the world talking to a neighbor one time. Read my very first post and you will see just how much of a friend this woman was to me. My Best Friend Post   It's amazing how much one person can change your entire world with a cup of coffee and conversation while watching the sun rise and/or set. 

Take a class.  Tons of Adult Ed classes out there at local community colleges. I took three writing courses at UNLV. Best time of my life. I'm still an unpublished author, but some day I'll make that dream a reality.  Call me procrastinating Patty. Ha Ha!

Reach Out and Help Another Person.  Nothing makes you feel better than making a difference in the life of someone else. You can volunteer at a soup kitchen, or read to children at the library. Head to a children's ward in the hospital or the oncology unit or geriatric units and play games with the patients. Sing to them, read them a book or just sit and listen to them talk. Sometimes, especially with seniors, it gets so lonely and nurses and doctors are too busy to truly listen that all they need is someone to hear how they feel, or reminisce about times from long ago. 

Pray.  This is a big one. This is first and foremost what I do each morning. Because it's important. It's important to give thanks to the Almighty, because it is because of him that we are blessed with life and the opportunity to wake up each morning. No matter what struggles we endure, His love is never ending.  We never know when our time will come, so while we are here, we should give thanks and praise God for all he has done in our lives.  

And to those who may not believe in Him, let me say something here. I am not here to chastise you, it is God's job to judge not mine. My job is simply to minister to those who may not have him in their life and let God do the rest. Maybe you don't believe, maybe you have your own set of faith and values, I respect those. However, if you feel like all hope is lost or you are living a life of sin and you KNOW in your HEART that what you are doing is wrong, I would like to suggest you try on a new set of "spiritual shoes". :) That's what I called my former spiritual path in life, my spiritual shoes. Because I hadn't found my true faith(until now of course) and I was trying on all sorts of beliefs...like a new pair of shoes. 

Just say one prayer. 

That's it.

I'm not asking you to run to a church and bow down before the Lord and recite the bible.  Just one prayer. No one but you and God will know you did this. If you get a tiny miracle, wonderful. If you don't, well, try another prayer. 

Or have a little patience.  

I know that prayer has worked for me. I feel sometimes like it's a struggle to worship God. But truth be told, every good relationship isn't easy. It's a struggle. To trust, to love, to be faithful. I am human, and God know this, but he also knows my heart.  So I continue to worship him and go to church, and do my best to live by the Word and just trust that God will rescue me in my times of struggle. 

I heard a pastor this morning say on TV, (paraphrasing here) "Faith is about trusting in God. You don't worry about the bills, or that sickness or whatever is ailing you because you just KNOW that God will take care of it. That is Faith."

I'm not saying that feelings of Ick or yuck will dissolve into thin air, but it will be a lot more bearable if you just get out and do stuff. No matter how lazy you feel, even if your head is telling you to just stay put, don't listen to your head, remember my words here the next time depression or ick comes into your head....GET OUT THERE RIGHT NOW AND DANCE!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barb,

I reread my last comment.
It sounded like I give in to the blah.
I meant to imply that's what I felt like doing, giving in.
But nobody will take care of me but me.
So I keep going.

I live in a tourist town.
It's hard not to laugh at some of the people you see.

Sandals.
White shorts, with a cuff.
Green Tee, "I'm With Happy."
With a lumberjack long sleeve plaid shirt.
And an croopers green visored cap.
I couldn't believe my eyes.

But it was funny.

Eb says Hi.

Barb said...

I know what it's like to live in a tourist town. We have the stupid idiots who slow down to capture a photo of a palm tree, or my "favorite" (not really) the cabs that come to our neighborhood and they have scantilly clad bosoms of women hugely plastered over the top of their cabs.

I have kids.

They don't need to see that.

We have major congestion on the Las Vegas Strip which is why I never go there. I will however, venture out that way with my kids once the white castle is built. I have to have a fresh slider at least once out here and allow my kids the luxury to indulge in a few of them as well.

That's not til november though, I have time to prepare myself mentally for the drive and figure out a plan to shield my kids from the crap that floats around that area.

Glad you're okay over there Ed. :) Enjoy your weekend.