Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Not-So-Pretty Part of Parenting 101

*disclaimer: this is a bit graphic in nature here.  Being a parent, there are times that we have things that aren't "So pretty" that happen with our children, things that happen that you laugh about later.  I have written in a humorous format, but I highly suggest you not read this if you are eating*  You've been warned. LOL

Good Morning!

I've been missing a bit here for a while, because, well....life happened. It's been crazy busy at work and I won't even go into detail for fear I'd get fired if I shared the random drama that hit me last week in our classroom. I'll just say, I miss my regular coworker, who is on vacation for ten more working days, and I swear I am going to bake her a pie when she returns just to let her know how much I appreciate working with her. She is the yin to my yang, the peanut butter to my jelly.

Let's just say she and I work so well together.

The sub and I?  

Not so much.

I did my best to be kind, cordial and mentor her the best I could. 

It didn't work very well, and that's all I'll say on the matter.

Again...because I love my job and refuse to get fired because I vented about certain things that happened last week. We had some funny moments, however, about 85% of our moments together weren't so funny.

So here I am on a Sunday morning, drinking my coffee and waiting for laundry to wash and dry so I can get ready for church. I ordered a bible for my daughter and it's suppose to be in today, can't wait to pick it up later and give it to her. I think I was more excited than she was when it came in. 
 

Here's a story for me to share: A child I know(It's hilarious now because he's okay) decided to stick a foreign object up his nose.  Yeah, let's just say it didn't phase him much because when he got back from the doc's office the following day, he was grinning from ear to ear telling me he went to the hopsital(yeah that's not a typo...he said it just like that).

I shared my "nose stories" with the dad. Let's just say, that as parents we all have a few "what were you thinking moments" or "not-so-pretty moments"  in our lifetime with our children. Turns out there are some I'd much rather forget. 

Like the time my oldest told me he took a dare when someone told him to eat gum out of a friend's vomit on the ground at age 15, or the Nerf ball stuck up my youngest twins nose, that we had no idea was up there until a week later.   That was the most disgusting thing ever. He was about 3 or so, and he tore off a piece of a Nerf basketball and crammed it way up his nose(how it got that far up there I don't know...breathing in I suppose) anyway, took him to the doctor a week later, when his breath was starting to get deathly smelly. No joke. It literally stunk up our room at night. We couldn't figure out why.  It was gross. He kept picking at it.  Doctor couldn't see it at first, but then I said, "Hey, I think I see something!"  Took him to the ENT and that was a moment I'd much rather forget forever. Had to hold his arms down with everything in me while he sat straddled on my lap, facing the doctor screaming profusely that I'm surprised the windows didn't shatter, and the doctor pulled it out. 

He set it on the tray next to me, and I thought for sure I would lose my breakfast at that point.

*Hope your not eating yours while your reading this*

My youngest twin son has had his share of challenges pretty much. The day he was born, the doctor asked me what kind of music I liked and he put it on the radio in the surgery room as the nurses prepared me for my C-Section.  He removed my oldest twin and I heard the cries and I felt the tears come rolling down my cheeks as he presented the little guy to me for the first time.  He began to work on his younger brother, removing him from my body and after a few minutes of not hearing my son cry I asked them, "Why isn't he crying?" I couldn't see anything, and I remember his dad saying to me when we talked about it later, "That's when I started to worry."  They finally let us know that the cord had been wrapped around his neck. They eventually got him breathing again and I got to hear him cry and the doctor lifted him above the sheet for me to see him. It was at that moment they had informed me....that my son had peed on my belly....welcome to the world son and let me inform you for future reference, my belly button is not a urinal. *giggles*

Then there is the time my daughter puked in my hair. We had just laid down in bed, she was about four years old and she wasn't complaining about anything, wasn't hot to the touch when we went to bed, and all of a sudden I hear that noise and you know it's coming... 

It got in her hair, my hair, the bed, my chest, her chest, the sheets...I never shot up so fast in my life. If there was ever a category in the Olympics for "quickest run to the bathroom with a puking child" I'd of won the gold for sure. 

She had a trundle bed and her brother was sleeping on it and I grabbed her, literally hopped between her brother's sprawled out legs and sprinted holding her away from me heading to the bathroom toilet, which of course you know she was done at that point.  


So then I had to clean her up, mind you it's about 10:00 at night and I'm utterly exhausted from that day's activities. So I put her in the shower, "hose her down",  mind you I'm still covered in her recycled dinner and dessert, dry her off and set her in the bed with daddy in our room at the time.  Then I ran as fast as I could, peeling off my soiled clothing and washed my hair and body at least three times to make sure it was all out. 

The following day she was much better and we headed to the mall, when my fourth-born son decided he'd make it more fun and got sick at the mall. We tried to make it to the bathroom, but as luck would have it we made it as far as the Pizza place near the bathroom when he lost it. I had to find the cleaning crew and let them know what happened so they could clean it up.  I felt bad for all those folks in the food court who witnessed that event that day.

I didn't see anything on the news about "Mass-vomiting incident at local mall...story at ten". So I guess nobody noticed or didn't care.

It's true, parenting is a tough gig.  There are some good things and not so good things that happen along the way.

I am amazed at how we all survive the trials and tribulations of parenthood some days.

But despite all the drama, all the sleepless nights, all the sickness and the bad attitudes, what makes it worth it is when you see your children get their A/B honor roll certificate, or perfect attendance award, or they hit the baseball out to the middle of center field, or make the winning touchdown, or your daughter does her own hair for the first time, or she buys her first pair of fake nails on her own at 9 years old; you enjoy those moments. And all the bad, nasty, drama-laden moments take a back seat for the time being.

Like the calm before the storm.

And when you walk into their room at night, readjust the blankets, kiss them on the forehead and tell them you love them again, even though they can't hear you(or maybe they do) and they are sound asleep and everything is calm and serene.

All the madness is just a memory.

A funny memory....

...that you hope someday will make them giggle when they retell the story to their children. 



 

 

No comments: