Thursday, August 22, 2013

One Carnival of a Day

Days Of The Week Comments
Magickal Graphics
So glad tomorrow is Friday.

I am longing to find a nice hot bath, no noise, no kids, no bother of any kind for ONE 24-hour period.  Call it a mother's sabbatical. Call it a vacation/staycation whatever, I need a much needed respite of some sort.  I think I will stock up on Chocolate, coffee, and a few good tv shows, unplug the phone while laying under a blanket or sitting in the tub for a while.

I finally got my tags at the DMV to replace my tags that were stolen. Thankfully the wait wasn't too too long. My daughter and I sat there in our chairs as she ate her cotton candy that I purchased for her at the concession stand at the DMV. I often wonder why they have a concession stand at the DMV and then it hit me...there are long lines of people, chairs being occupied by whiny children, spouses arguing, people yelling into their cell phones, who needs cable? Not to mention the "free" movies. Yeah, the little tidbits of trivia they show you on a flat screen TV while you wait to be called.

Did you know it takes the length of a football field to stop your car when it's going 65 miles per hour? Did you also know that Sony bought out CBS records in 1988??

I got the CBS question correct. Yay me!

When I got to the information counter the woman handed me a number ticket(and a smile, which is so rare these days, especially when one ventures into DMV land) and told me it will cost about six bucks to replace my tags. Okay, cool. So my  daughter and I start to walk towards the seats, and as we do, I notice the number the woman gave me was 178, all the numbers on the computer generated sign were into the 190's. I walked back to the counter and told the woman, "Umm, excuse me, but this number says 178 and those numbers(pointing to the display) are in the 190's."  She apologized and laughed and handed me another ticket.

Apparently her brain was functioning at about the same level as mine by Wednesday too.

I call my work and let my boss know what was going on. I then proceed to take a seat with my daughter beside me. Wasn't even five minutes and she is asking me "Mommy, do you have that ball game on your phone still?" I told her I removed all the apps.  Two minutes passed, and again she is asking me "Are you sure you don't have any games? I'm bored."  I told her we could talk about politics, religion, unicorns, fairies and rainbows. I told her we could talk about chocolate or whatever. She didn't need electronics to keep her entertained.

I failed to mention, I was telling her this as I was updating the status on my phone on Facebook.

We began talking about school, and her hair and how she needed it cut. She doesn't want short hair, and I told her that we wouldn't cut it short we would just cut the split ends off. I started to show her what a split end looks like and then took my finger put it on my tongue and tried to push down the hairs that were spiraling out on the top of her head like alien antennae. She backed up in her chair and we both started laughing as I tried chasing her with my pointer finger as she dodged it from hitting the top of her head.   She was apparently grossed out by that and as the more I thought about it,  I hadn't washed my hands since we entered the building and God only knows how many people touched that door to the DMV entrance.

Yuck.

We then started singing songs from the radio. Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, just having a fun time. We sang in unison, except for the lines I didn't know the words to and I am thinking her and I should cut a record deal...perhaps with Sony Records. (grins) Finally it was up to 225 on the display. I looked at my daughter and grabbed her knee with faked excitement and a wide-eyed look and said "OH MY GOSH!! Just FIVE MORE PEOPLE!" She looked at me with that Mom you're embarrassing me look with the grin to complete the look.  I start jumping up and down in my seat, grinning excitedly, this didn't help her embarrassment by any means.

I couldn't help it.

Finally they call my number, and I jump up and say to my daughter "BINGO!" and we walk hurriedly to the counter. I smile at the nice woman behind the desk, and we exchange a little chit chat, and before long I am walking off with my new tags at the basement bargain price of Five whole American dollars.  Made it into work and after only 2 1/2 hours I got my lunch in.


By lunchtime I was starving. I only had a string cheese I got at the DMV carnival booth, I mean concession stand, and some coffee...much much coffee before I left the house.

I go to eat my sandwich that I made with such meticulous care; fresh Sara Lee Wheat bread, two slices of ham, lettuce, cucumbers and slathered with mayo. I couldn't wait to bite into that sucker.

I get my lunch out of my bag, and what the hell??

Peanut butter and jelly? Huh?

Yeah, that's right my beautiful daughter apparently got my sandwich and I got hers. In my quest to hurry out the door and not be too late for work I inadvertently stuck my sandwich in her Barbie lunch box and her PBJ in my bag.  Her teacher in her room and I were cracking up at her, because she didn't tell the teacher she got my sandwich, she ate it...all of it!!

And that little smirk she gave me as she told me how tasty it was, cracked us all up even more.

Thankfully I had some Spaghetti O's that I packed for lunch the day before, but was way too upset to eat by lunch after all the phone calls I had made. So I ate that instead.

Over all not a bad day.

A slight ruffle in my feather at lunchtime, but nothing that a few hormone induced tears didn't solve. I did tell my friend at work that I've got a massive case of PMS and to just disregard any waterfalls that should fall from my eyes this week.  I really wish I could be more like her, or my sister, where nothing really phases you and if someone steps on your toes you kick them in the ass with sarcasm or it just rolls off your back like it never even happened.

Know what I mean?

Now my son is complaining his throat hurts.  Sorry cowboy, but we have to go in to work. You will have to just hang in there until your dad can pick you up. Suck it up, man up son! Truth be told I feel bad for him. I want to just cuddle on the couch with him and let him rest. But I don't have that luxury. I don't have a hefty bank account, or a husband who is the CEO of some major company who wants nothing more than for me to be a stay at home mom or take my kids and I on vacations all over the US. Nope, I don't have that. All I have is me, my limited amount of cash which I will use on my way to work to purchase some green tea and medicine for my son to swallow in the hopes whatever this is will magically disappear.

One thing after another and another and another this week. Like riding the horses on the carousel and you just go up and down and around and around while the world around you is one big blur as you spin round and round. At first it keeps you going and the ride is bearable, despite the fact that funnel cake you ate before you got on is doing cartwheels in your belly, but when you can't get off of the horses, eventually it makes you dizzy, sick and just plain exhausted.

Anyway, it's time to get ready for work.

Can't wait for 6 p.m.

Can't wait for Friday even more.

Until then I will just enjoy the other carnival driven days that come my way and I hope I make it through the roller coaster of incidents and emotions that come my way until the weekend.




No comments: