Sunday, August 25, 2013

Being *Somewhat* Productive

*Cough, Cough, Cough....Sneeze*

Oh, excuse me, this cold just came out of nowhere.  Well actually not nowhere(is that a double negative? Because I didn't mean for it to be one), it came from somewhere obviously. Let's see where all the places are that I've been this week. Two grocery stores, a gas station, WORK wiping little noses galore lately, sitting at home, and that about sums up my agenda this week.

Now if we think about home, there are my children who have been around other children. My son had a sore throat and massive cough when he slept here a few nights ago while they were with me.  I had a sore throat Friday morning and was totally out of it by Friday night after work. Surprised I didn't run over anyone or swerve off the road from sheer fatigue.

It was THAT bad.

Yesterday  I felt better. So what's the deal here?

I am going to be baking some banana chocolate chip muffins today. I can't wait. The bananas are perfectly ripe for baking. Little bit o' brown spots and squishy. Not too squishy as in watery squishy, that would be disgusting, but squishy as in they can be mashed with a plastic spoon if need be.

So I'm going to bake. Going to clean, vacuum and finally dust around here.  There was a photo on Facebook floating around that I posted on my wall a while back. It said the following:

My house is not a mess.
It's just that everything is on display for your viewing pleasure.

Like a museum.

I added my own post to that above the photo before I posted the link. It said this:

  That's right...my house is a museum. To the right you will see the historic two pound dust bunny from 2012, feel free to autograph the end table atop the 4 inches of dust. And over there in the boys room, you will notice their latest science project, we call it "milk in a cup from yesterday" and there on the far left in the middle of the living room is "sock standing on it's own" or "Dirty T-shirt that lost it's way to the laundry room". Hold on tightly as you enter the kitchen and enjoy the delight of a sudden chill on your feet and losing your balance at the "Ice that Melted on the floor" display. Don't forget to head over to the fridge where you will find the sci-fi mystery dinners wrapped in aluminum foil or growing inside a Rubbermaid container, they may even smile at you. Be careful of the sneaky and sticky Capri sun straw wrapper that will latch onto your bare foot or shoe. Those things are evil. You've been warned. LOLLLL

That pretty much sums up my apartment at the moment. Well, scratch that. There are no science projects or mystery meals in the fridge anymore. I cleaned a bit yesterday...in slow spurts....but there is still some dust worthy of an autograph or two on the table.

That reminds me of this pizza place we use to venture to when I was a teenager. It was called Geno's East, it was on the Southeast Side of Chicago. While you waited to be seated, you could write on the walls of the restaurant anywhere you wanted to. It was a graffiti artist's heaven. Not that I was a graffiti artist by nature, but felt kind of invigorating to do something that was normally considered illegal outside the walls of that establishment without it being illegal. Ya know?  You could also draw on the tables too. And the deep dish pizza was to die for.

Miss that place so much.

Good times.

I just caught a glimpse of the weather on the Weather Channel as I went to refill my coffee mug. More thunderstorms afoot this afternoon. I can't wait.  All week long there is a chance of rain, thanks to our good buddy Tropical Depression Ivo. Who names these storms anyway? What kind of name is Ivo. I have heard of Ivy, or Ivan even, but Ivo?  Are there any Ivo's out there reading this? If so kindly raise your hand.

*silence*

Uh, huh. I thought so. 

I'm thinking I may need to start building that ark. Actually forget the ark, I have a blow up twin mattress here, I'll just duct tape some wood around it and have a nice little canoe. I can use some brooms for paddles and  be sure to pack my insulated Walmart bag to stock up on canned goods and water for the trip.  Maybe we will flood enough the waters will float me right back to my parents back yard in Indiana.

That would be funny.

(I have a really vivid imagination, and I'm bored so I'm just gonna go with it)

 I can just see myself floating down the alley between my sister and my mom's house waving with a big smile saying "Hi mom! Got some coffee ready? I'm home!"

Dog starts barking, I grab onto the side of her fence and hop over it. Because of course the flood waters only go down the alley and not in my mom's yard. 
 
My kids do this all the time. They give me hypothetical situations and tell me their version of how things could go.

Or they do the "what if" scenarios a lot of times.

For instance, one day we were sitting here and I had forgot to shut the heat off on the spaghetti o's after I served the kids lunch. So my son says to me "what if it had started on fire?" then I said "well then, we'd exit out the front door or patio door." Well, what if they are blocked by fire? "Well then, I guess we'd go through one of the bedroom windows." Well, what if the bedroom windows are blocked too by fire? The sarcastic adult in me would probably like to say "Well then I guess we'd be burnt to a crisp like bacon, huh?" But I would never say that. So instead I said, "Well, we'd probably go out the living room window then.

Another what if moment from my youngest twin, well more like an imagined hypothetical went like this:

"Mom who do you think would win a fight between an Army of Bugs vs. the People Army?"
"Probably the Army of People," I say matter of factly.
"But the bugs could win couldn't they?"
"I guess they could, but it's highly unlikely."
"But the bugs could sting the people with poison and they could die."
"I suppose they could". 

So why did he ask me to begin with. The bugs already won the war in his head.

He then went on to ask me who would win in the war of an Army of all the birds in the world or the People Army(people army, why am I saying people Army?? My kids have me talking like them now. You know I was at work the other day and I was giving a coworker a recipe and I told her "Half a cup of sprinkle cheese..." I stopped to laugh, and said "I meant Shredded Cheddar") 

So getting back to the war between birds and people I told my son I wasn't sure who would win. I figured why get into this again. But he persisted and I told him the People Army would win because they have guns. And hunters shoot birds with guns, and since the People Army are trained to shoot guns they would win.

No argument from him.

I won that discussion I guess. Or gave the right answer. Either way it was a win win for us both.

Okay, I suppose I've rambled on long enough. Time to get some actual productive stuff going on around here.

Like cleaning(sigh).

Or writing my to do list in the dust on the end table.







 






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi B,
Isn't the coffee table a bit heavy to carry shopping?
I make lists, I just forget to take them with me.
Maybe I should buy a coffee table to write my list on?
So who would win between the Bugs & the Birds?

Sorry that Flo's visiting.
Ed