Monday, March 31, 2014

It's Monday

Well, my kids and I decided to take part in Earth Hour. 

What a challenge that was. I got a candle I had in my bathroom and lit it, and my daughter brought out one more from her room. Next thing I know the boys go to their room and get the two candles they bought at the store last year and never lit.  The one candle creeps me out. It's one of Jesus hanging on the cross with the nails and blood and just really morbid looking. It reminds me of a scene from the original movie Carrie with Sissy Spacek when she is locked in that closet her mother stuck her in. I didn't want to light that one, but my kids kept saying we needed it.

So I lit the thing.

*shivers*

I don't know why Catholic Churches and those photos creep me out, well I know why sort of, they are kind of creepy. Maybe I've seen too many movies with churches in them and supernatural heebie jeebie kinds of themes to those movies. I don't know....and to be honest of all the things to put at the front of a church, a giant cross with a man hanging from it doesn't seem the most obvious to use. Why can't their be a statue of Mary holding him? Or just a photo or statue of him with his arms outstretched welcoming all his faithful followers to his flock? I find those photos of him with the sheep or even the little children standing beside him rather peaceful looking.

But that cross....nope....don't understand the concept.  

When I was younger I had a dream about Mary floating and chasing me out of the grotto (where you light votive candles and send prayer requests for each votive you lit).  She chased me clear outside the front doors. I'm guessing she didn't realize how much that dream would scar me for life from ever returning to a Catholic Church again. Maybe she knew long before I did, that I wasn't Catholic deep down inside. And yes, I've been in a church since that time....once to be exact. Last summer with my parents and my son. 

I made it through the service....kudos to me. *pats self on back*

Anyway, back to the topic at hand(church creepiness wasn't the topic?? hmm...) my kids and I lit the candles and then we sat on the living room floor and played some Uno. I thought it was going to be Earth Half Hour only because they started getting restless. Then the one candle I had would dim. And we thought it hilarious when my daughter would stand next to that candle it would get brighter. So every time it got lower, we'd make her stand next to it and watch it slowly glow brighter until we could see. 

Next thing I know though, about half an hour into the hour, my kids are all playing with the candle tapping it to see if they could "magically" make the flame bigger. My daughter would tap one side and my youngest twin the other side, with their pointer fingers and see if the flame would grow. I'm telling them to stop, then I threatened to blow them all out and we'd only have Earth Half Hour instead of Earth Hour.

"NOOOO!", they whined and I told them to leave the candles alone. I told them, "Just stare at the flame. That's what I do when I am in the tub and it really is cool and relaxing." So they all finally found spots on the floor and couch to lay and they sat there, while I put on a meditation type song on my phone and we just laid there for the last fifteen minutes of Earth Hour in total peace and quiet.

Yesterday I did laundry. 

As I went to grab my son's shorts out of the dryer the button popped off. 

Lovely.

Now I could have gone and just bought some needle and thread, but instead I just ran with the kids to Wally World and got them all new clothes. He got a new pair of shorts, my boys got two shirts each and my daughter got herself a Hello Kitty Skirt and two HK shirts.

The only one who didn't get new clothes was me.

Isn't that how it goes when you are a parent? You are still walking around in shorts you bought four years ago and your kids are dressed to the nine's. 

I still can't believe I finally bought myself new underwear. That was about two months ago, and if I remember correctly somewhere around here I was so excited about that fact that I actually blogged about it.  The undies I had prior to that shopping event were more like a tiny bit of cotton held together by elastic that wasn't even stretchy anymore.  Holes from being bleached so much that I had "natural air-conditioned panties" for the summertime months.

Wow, it's already 7 a.m.  I have to wake the children and get myself showered and dressed before I do that. They all want to take showers this morning and I want hot water. I may not get new clothing, but I  will get a hot shower this morning.

Have a lovely day today whomever may stop by my page. 

Not many people take the time to read anymore these days, so I am grateful for the spittle of folk that take time to read my blog posts and even more grateful for those who take time to actually comment.

I leave you with a song/video that I love by Michael Jackson. In honor of this previous weekend's Earth Hour, let's enjoy a song/video that has a very wonderful message attached to it. Every time I see this video I get chills.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bard,

It's me Eb again.
I do wish people would take a moment to say Hi to you.
But oh well.

If you go back to the first Bard & Eb encounter you might like my follow-up comment.

I always liked the Catholic church my Dad went to when I was a kid.
I liked the echo.
Which I found out was disrespectful to do.
I was happy to kneel that day.
But it was still cool. ;)

As a kid it always made me sad to see someone nailed to a cross.
Didn't really understand, I was like 5 or 4.
I thought he didn't have any friends or anyone who cared.

Happy Earth Day whenever it was?
Not too big on obscure holidays.
You know those trivial ones that only come once a year.
Fig Newton Day.
Sweet Pickle Day.
My X Wedding Anniversary.
My Birthday.
Soup and Salad Day.

Well Bard, we who reside in the Archdiocese of Saint Augustine wish you and yours a Happy Aprils' Fools Day.
(Yet another obscure Holiday)

Later Bard,
All the Best,
Eb

Barb said...

I personally like the Free Stack of Pancakes day at IHOP, which unfortunately we didn't attend this year. I don't think that's an actual holiday, but it should be...in my opinion anyway.

Also I remember about 5 years ago, going to El Pollo Loco for the free two pieces of chicken and flour tortilla(2) event. Not sure if you have any El Pollo Locos down there or not. It's awesome chicken! I remember there were two homeless guys sitting at the end of the driveway out of the parking lot and I told them to go there and get some free chicken. Not sure if they went or not.

That echo in the church...yeah, awesome when there is a crying baby around. I watched an episode of Four Weddings where a baby cried throughout the whole entire wedding and you should have seen the look on the people's faces. That kid clearly didn't hold her peace and spoke up with what she thought of the marriage apparently.

BTW, Earth Hour was Saturday from 8:30 to 9:30 local time.

Have a great Tuesday. I'll come back on the weekend and check out your comment. Gotta get ready for work. *sigh*