Saturday, March 8, 2014

Saturday Randomness

It's Saturday.

Had your coffee yet?

I did.

I had two cups thus far, and I'm hankering to get my hands on a third cup.  I've been up since 5:30 and let's just say that I'll be dancing with my broom and mop by the time I get to do my kitchen chores here in a few with all java in my body. 

I bought myself some Caramel Macchiato Cold Stone Creamery Creamer. It was on sale for a dollar and some change. I wouldn't have it otherwise in my fridge, if it wasn't so cheap. It's lasted me quite a while too. Makes my coffee that much more enjoyable. I love my coffee.  It's given me quite a jolt to say the least this morning.

I'm going to need that jolt, because it's going to be that kind of day today.

Speaking of jolt, anyone remember that Jolt cola?? Oh my gosh, I believe it was the mid to late 80's when that soda came out. I'm not sure if they still make it, but that was the 80's version of Red Bull. My 80's version of Red Bull, was and always will be, Mountain Dew. I was so excited when they came out with Mountain Dew Red, that's my favorite Dew to Do.  I think it came out in the early 2000's. That's just weird....reading that. Early 2000's?? Can't really say it came out in the 00's now can ya? At least in the 1900's, you could say 50's, 60's, 70's ...etc... What do you do now?

Side note there.

Sorry.

It happens a lot.

I swear I have ADHD.

*points left*

"OH LOOK A SQUIRREL!"

Where was I?

Oh...I left the bold setting on. Ooops.

What the heck? It's back again. I didn't adjust this to bold. It did it on it's own!!  Are we working on patterns in this blog now? Bold, normal font, bold, normal font, bold.....


I shut it off.

There....I think we....

SERIOUSLY!????

My blog page is playing head games with me this morning. I swear I am NOT(<----except here) turning it off and on here. It's doing it on it's own.

Did it again.

What the hell?

Divider Graphics

So anyway, I have a busy day today.


First I have to clean my apartment. I know it's here somewhere. Just have to find it. I think it's under all the blankets, and the toys and the socks and the papers strewn across the floors and furniture.

Let me share a funny story with you. You'll love this one. I know I did anyway.

So, the other day my kids came back from their dad's house. They lined up all their backpacks, lunch boxes, shoes and what not at the bottom of the steps. My youngest twin shouts up to me..."MOM! Move out of the way so I can throw my shoes up there!"

So I step inside the apartment.

He tosses one shoe and I hear it hit the wall. I walk outside and he says, "Hold on one more mom!," so I slither back into the apartment.

Next thing I know, I don't hear the other shoe hit the wall. But what I do hear next made me laugh.

"OH NO! IT'S ON THE ROOF!," my son yells out.

"What the hell did you do that for!" says his father.

I peer around the door to find his not so happy father yelling at him and telling him that wasn't so bright. Me on the other hand, I'm laughing my ass off.

See, I wasn't the one who spent fifty bucks on those stupid shoes...he was.

I can shop and get two, almost three pairs of shoes for the price he forks over for shoes for the kids. I don't know why he spends so much on shoes for the kids, but I'm a simple Susie, I'll shop smart and get more for my money. I don't care about name brands....ESPECIALLY when it comes to shoes...

....ESPECIALLY when those shoes are on a kid's feet.  Because kids have a tendency to be rough on their shoes...ESPECIALLY BOYS.

So, now we are stuck in a conundrum.

We have one shoe on the porch, on one shoe on the roof.

It's wedged pretty good in the shingles too up there.

So my son is now balling his eyes out, my ex left in a dither from the parking lot, and I'm just standing there absorbing all of this in my tiny little brain.

"We'll just go to Walmart tomorrow and get a new pair. That means we'll have to wake up early so none of us is late."

He's still upset, and I'm trying to finish cooking dinner.

After dinner, my son calls his dad and his dad proceeds to tell him to get a blanket and tie something heavy like a lunch box or another shoe to the end of the blanket and swing it up there.

So, of course, we try this.

I tried it more for shits and giggles, they tried it because they thought it would work.

So there we are, swinging this blanket/shoe line up on top of the roof. We got quite a few "near misses" and about three "direct hits" but that sucker was wedged so tight we'd of needed a dentist's tool to yank it out of there.

My oldest twin son tells me, "Mom, this reminds me of something you'd see the family do on that show The Middle."  

Yep, son, I'm Frankie Heck and this is, no doubt a Sue Heck moment.

We finally conceded to the simple fact that the following morning we'd have to just get a new pair of shoes.

Which meant an early morning for us all.

The following morning we get to Wally World and head to the shoe department.  I knew this would take a while to find him shoes, because he is slow as molasses when it comes to picking out "just the right pair of shoes". Of course, you can't buy one kid a pair and expect the other two to just sit there and not want anything, next thing I know his brother wants a pair too.

Lovely.

So my trip to Wally World for one pair of twenty-dollar shoes has turned into a shoe shopping spree for my boys.

I still saved money compared to what their dad spent.

Two pairs of shoes for the price of the one sitting on the roof of my apartment and I still had ten bucks to spare in relation to the other pair.  My daughter was too tired to care about shoe shopping, so I figured I owe her a pair of shoes later.  Sandal season is just around the corner, we'll go shopping when those sales start.


Divider Graphics

Yesterday I went to work and we had a pretty busy day.   As we were unpacking the kids lunches my friend opens this one little girl's lunch and says "Oh how cute!" I look up and there in a Ziploc baggie are two Krispie Treats. The mom had written, "Lisa(not her real name) and Miss Barb" on the baggie.

I was touched.

I was so touched because this girl thought of me at a random moment.  It wasn't a holiday, or my birthday, or even teacher appreciation week.

That totally made my day.

I thanked mom after she picked up her daughter and she had told me that when they were making her lunch she told her mom, "Miss Barb wants one too."

So she put one in for me.

Still makes me smile.

These kids always have a way of making us have better days when the days aren't going as well as planned.

I really do love working with the kids. It's the "job" part of it I don't like.

And it's nice when the kids run up to me with so much excitement just to give me a hug. I will hear a little voice from clear down the hallway, "Miss Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrb!" and I see little feet running and huge smiles on these kids faces as they are making their way towards me.

I love these kids.

Almost as much as I love my own.

This past Monday I brought in some balls for the kids to use out on the playground. They were two bucks each. Kind of pricey for some rubber balls kids bounce around, but we needed them so I got them.

While we were out on the playground, my friend and I decided to show the kids how to play volleyball and the kids would run back and forth trying to get the ball while it was in the air. It was so funny watching them go back and forth, hands in the air, little feet running every direction.

Anyway, I went to serve the ball with my left hand and as I twisted, I pulled something in my lower back.

That was the end of our volleyball game to say the least.

I barely even twisted. But I had jumped up to serve it and my shoes don't have the greatest support in them and when I came down I think I crunched whatever disc into whatever vertebrae and spinal arrangement goes on in my lower back.

It hurt like hell.

I finally could sit on my couch yesterday and bend my knee to lift my legs to put on my shoes and tie them up.

Sucks getting older.

Notice how I said "getting older" and not "getting OLD".

I am not old.

I am a spring chicken.

I am a 21 year old trapped in the body of a 44 year old.

So there.

The things I will do for a paycheck.

I think, however, I draw the line at possible paralysis...

There will be no more playground Volleyball from Miss Barbie ever again.



Divider Graphics



Well, I guess I should get going now.

I hear the birds rustling around in their cage and I need to get some chores done around here so I can enjoy the beautiful, warmer, sunny weather outside today.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

I shall try to return this evening with an entertaining blog post for you all.

Have a lovely Saturday.

I  leave you with this lovely little 70's tune from one of my favorite bands.

Enjoy.

 






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,

Wow. Chicago. I didn't know anybody remembered them but me. So there ya go. Remember Styx?

I used to work at the Maxwell House coffee plant in downtown Jacksonville Fl. I can't stand the taste. But my dad, ex navy WWI & WWII used to drink it. Old glass bulb on top percolator. I love the smell of roasting or perking coffee. Memories of way kinder days.

Use a long piece of rope. Weigh the center. Have the two ends spread out. Draw them together in the middle. Throw it up on the roof. As you let go it makes an inverted "V" and spreads open. then pull the two ends down.

Make sure the weight you use is short enough to catch the shoe sole. Ta Da.

My niece had a pair of "Jelly Shoes?" Your life in your hands if you messed with them. That was 20 years ago. I still live in fear.

I look forward to your next post.

Don't think of it as "Getting Older."

Think of it as:
"Successfully Completing Another Lap Around The Sun."

Not to mention kids grow out of cloths so quickly.

Take Care B,
Have an good weekend,
Ed

Barb said...

Oh my gosh Ed...Styx!!!! Loved that group..and of course there was Rush, my fave song being "Tom Sawyer" from them and still is my fave. Loverboy, and Boston...my all time fave band from that era....Foreigner....Urgent...good song.

I'm not going to bother with the shoe. Hoping a good windstorm hits us again(as I'm sure it will) and it will be blown off. Of course, with our luck it will be blown into the tree on the side of the apartment...on the top branch. *giggles*

Jelly shoes....those were fun shoes that gave me many a blister but I still wore them until the blisters stopped coming.