Monday, July 14, 2014

Talk About Perspective...Wow!

I had a very productive day today. I actually got to work a half an hour early.  Everyone at work was shocked to see me so early. I said, "No, the world is not ending, I just don't have my kids this week." With school out they go to grandma's on dad's week with them. 

It's a bit of a break, but I do miss them.

It's so quiet around here. Other than the birds and the roaring of the fan in the apartment there is not much else going on here.  I'm munching on some popcorn shrimp from Popeye's. The manager gave me a sample of the one that is on sale this week/month it was 4.99 for a side, biscuit and this blackened pepper shrimp. I think that's what it's called. It's a bit on the spicy side. When I tried it, I didn't really feel the "oomph!" of the breading until I already placed my order. It's got a bit of a kick to it here. I just drown it in the ranch dip and it seems to take the edge off the shrimp's spiciness. Is that spelled right?? Spiciness?? I am not getting a spell check on that, perhaps I should spell check the spell check.

Hmm....


Then I headed to the store to get some coffee. There was a man outside who asked for a quarter. It's hotter than hell out there, so I went in and came back with two waters and a Mucho Mango Arizona tea. He was drinking one and so I got him another.  He had a walker and he was burnt to a crisp dark skinned, maybe he was white at one time, but he looked like he spent a good long day in the hot desert sun. Anyway, he looked a bit tattered and I don't judge folks who ask for money, nor do I question their intentions when I give them money or drinks or stuff like that. God puts people in our lives from time to time and like that movie Bruce Almighty, you never know who that homeless or broken person really is.  That song "What if God was one of us? Just a stranger on a bus...?? La la la la la..." is going through my head now (Is it going through your head now too?).

So I handed him the bag and the 51 cents I received for change from my purchases and he says to me, "Bless you." I say to him, "God Bless You."

He opened the bag as I got into my car and I heard him say, "Holy Shit! Holy Shit!" He looks at me as I am about to shut the door and says, "Thank you! Thank you so much!!"  Two waters and an ice tea make a man's day and I complain when I have to pay more for gas on any given day. At least I have a car and tons of water in the trunk of it.  Thank you Lord, for that car and the money to purchase the water.

His reaction really put my life into perspective. 

This man got completely excited over something I take for granted every day....cold drinking water. 

Please don't ever think that you are not blessed. We all are blessed in some way, shape or form. Maybe you lost your job, maybe you lost a husband, maybe you lost a leg in a car accident or a war.  If you are reading this, you are blessed. Because you either have a) a roof over your head and enough money for internet use or b) a cell phone, even if you have no home to read this.  The internet and cell phone are not my point though, there are other blessings. Despite whatever your circumstances are, you have life. You have either your family/children/friends for support.  Every day is a gift from God and we all have to appreciate that gift. Give thanks for that gift. And give as well, whether it's financially to your church or community, or in the form of volunteering or....simply buying water for a homeless person in the 110 degree heat.  

I am not sharing this story to "brag", but rather to hopefully nudge a few folks reading this out there to get off their hineys and help a few folks once in a while. I'm not rich by any means, I live paycheck to paycheck, but I can afford to help a few people out a few times anyway.  

The blessings will come forth when you give from your heart.   

So the next time that person asks you for spare change, don't tell them, "Get a job loser!" or just walk past as though you never heard or saw them.  Smile and if you don't feel comfortable giving money, go get them a sandwich at McDonald's, or a water and some chips from the gas station, or just a water if you really can't afford anything else. 

It's been a long day.

I need to go read my bible. 

It's time for my time with God here now.

Have a good week!
 


 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,

I can relate to the cold drink.
When you're thirsty & it's hot, water is awesome.

Take Care B,
Eb says Hi!

Barb said...

Water is awesome...especially in this weather. And no matter how much you drink some days, it still doesn't seem like one is hydrated when it's 112 degrees out there.

Hi Eb! :)