Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Single Parenting and Sickness

Wow....what a day I had yesterday.

The "fun" began Tuesday night at work and carried over into last night. 

First, my poor daughter got the flu(or something). She had a headache and looked awful by the time I got her. She threw up once in the bathroom in my room at work, and then she threw up again in the car ride home. Thankfully I gave her a bag to hold on the long ride home. It's really not THAT long, but when you feel your lunch recycling in your body and are achy 25 minutes is a long ride home.

I got her home and let her call daddy. He talked to her for a few minutes and then she went straight to sleep after having one more vomit fest to really wear the poor thing out.

She slept until the following morning. 

Then the queasiness continued and a fever greeted her poor little body. Gave her some ice chips and a bath and had her lay down on the couch for a while.

Then my boys decided to argue. They were going at it pretty bad and at one point I had to intervene. As I'm trying to bend down to pick up my oldest twin son off his brother that pain in my head was moving all around. It reminded me of that leveling tool you use with the bubble in it. Moving up and down but not bursting every time you move it. I wanted to cry so bad, because I just wanted them to get along for once.  I finally got them to settle down after a phone call to their father explaining there would be no football practice for them this week if they didn't stop. I don't care how much he spent for them to sign up, they need to have some dire consequences and football was the only thing I had left to take away.

My daughter took a bath, and I gave her some Gatorade and ice chips and by 3:30 she was feeling much better.

However, I was not.

I started getting chills and aches and that's when I the headache got worse and soon I began feeling very warm and clammy. I tried to lay on the couch next to my daughter and told her she could watch her show. The boys were with dad at football practice and I figured I'd get a catnap in to fight this thing. I told her I was going to take a nap. 

That wasn't so easy. 

Because my sweet daughter has the gift of gab like her momma and she just kept talking to me. First it was about her story she wrote, then she was telling me about a special sandwich she thought up in her head that we should make some time and she started telling me all the ingredients and I didn't want to hurt her feelings, but it was making me feel even worse the thought of mayo, ham, lettuce and wrap sandwiches.  She just kept talking and I kept letting her.  Eyes closed I tried so hard not to hear what she was saying, but just listen to the words and nod and say "uh-huh" every so often.  Bless her heart, she finally stopped talking and I just laid there and then the phone rang and it was her dad telling her practice was cancelled the boys were on their way home.  

So much for my much-needed nap.



Around 7:30 I got sick. Ran to the bathroom and just stood there, you know how you do when you know it's coming and you just want it over with.  I had flashbacks to many a drunken night after hanging out with friends all night long and the clear reason why I don't drink anymore,  and soon the chicken I ate for lunch was recycling itself the other direction.

I know this is kind of a graphic blog post. I could do without all the morbid details, but it wouldn't be me if I didn't give every detail play by play.  I'm sure a lot of you can relate to my post.

I ordered a pizza around 8:15 or so and by that time my head was in excruciating pain, the queasiness was overbearing and the thought of talking about food and wings and all that made it hard for me to swallow. I barely made it through the ordering process and wanted to tell the guy, can you stop offering me a list of specials and just make the cheese pizza I wanted and send it with some theraflu and a baby sitter to watch my kids so I can sleep uninterrupted? Because I'm feeling like a train wreck here and just want to go to bed.

I got a phone call from a friend of mine apologizing for her "drunk dialing" call to me the night before. I told her no worries, she was quite the comical chick on the phone that night. She called me at 12:20 that night(morning) and we were up anyway and I explained to her that I was wide awake because me and my son were out watching the eclipse.  We hung up about fifteen minutes into our conversation.

Next thing I know the pains in my head were pounding. I felt like someone had take giant hammers in my head and was pounding them against my skull nonstop. 

Eventually I laid down on the couch, gave the kids $20 for the pizza I ordered and told them to please not fight. My oldest twin paid for the pizza and I made sure the guy gave them the right change and then my weary body passed out on the couch.  I tried to stay awake and just lay there as long as I could, but in the end, my body won that battle and told me it couldn't function anymore.

Now I'm wide awake and feel brand new. Looking forward to going into work today. 

I'm hoping this day flies by. 

I'm also hoping my boys don't catch whatever this stupid bug is.

Hope you have a lovely Wednesday. I have to go now and make some lunches.

I'll see you this weekend I'm sure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,

I hope you & the little one are better?
I kinda like her sandwich idea, even though it was an ill timed revelation & description.
I'd like to hear her book idea sometime too.

As for your boys.
I hate to admit this but here goes.
I don't remember what I was doing.
Or why my Mom needed me to be/do/behave or anything like that.
All that stuff has faded away.
Early teens, 13 maybe 14?
I wasn't "Acting As Needed."
My mom cried.
I think I'd have tried to do anything to take back whatever I did or didn't do that caused her the heartache that made her cry.

41 years later, I've never forgotten that pain I caused.
I never went to that "zone" or even close to causing her pain ever again.

It hurt me then and I still cry on occasion now that she's passed on.
It's that deeply ingrained.
It was that much of an influence on my behavior.
The behavior carried over to every woman over time.

I'm not saying do "this" they'll behave.
But something will impact them.
No telling what it will be?
But it will last their lifetime.

Get better B,
Ed
(Eb says 'Hi.")

Barb said...

Feeling better now. Just a few remnants of this nasty bug here floating around my body. My daughter is definitely better. I'm Not eating much still, because what I do eat doesn't exactly agree with me.

It makes me sad, because one time I did cry because I was just so wore out that day and my boys wouldn't listen and my oldest twin told me, "Stop crying. People who cry do it to make people feel sorry for them." It was at that moment I realized that he had learned this from his father, as he use to say the exact same thing to me. He also use to say men who cry are babies. He'd always make fun of men who cried on tv. Unfortunately my son has picked up on this way of thinking and lack of emotion and it hurts me to see that.

I try to tell him people cry because their feelings are hurt, or they are sad because something happened. It's okay to cry. And maybe in some respect my son knows what he's doing is hurting me, but he is using his words so as not to feel guilty or something like that.

I hope I can change his attitude.

Not likely though.

I want him to show empathy towards others and not disdain or judgment when they cry or show emotion.

I realize there is no easy fix to a child's bad temper or temperament. They are who they are and although I love him, there are some days he makes me want to cry even more...his brother too.

It breaks my heart.

Anyway...that's that. Wow....I went pretty deep on that topic.

Time to talk about something fun like gummy bears or rainbows.

have a good week ed. tell eb i said hello.

Anonymous said...

Hi B,

Eb says Hi too. Feel free to stop by and see him, he lives just south of Hooterville. Just a hoot an holler over from Petticoat Junction. He said to let you know the rooms are still a dollar a day & the train ride is still just a nickel one way.

I feel like moving.

Sorry to hear about your boys attitude & behavior.

On a happier note.

Four pieces of 3M tape.
Hardwood floor.
One one year old cat.
Apply tape to bottom of all 4 paws.
Apply cat to said floor.
Enjoy the show.
P.S. empty bladder prior to application of tape.

I feel happier already.

I really hope things get better for you Barb.
I really do.

With best wishes and a powdered jelly filled donut.

Ed & Eb